Mobile reloading/ man cave

You gotta remember too...your average ground pounding beat cop isn't going to know a single DOT transport law...unless you pull into a truck weigh/check station the odds of ever getting checked are slim to none. But, I do see where you want to make sure you are legal.

I haven't ordered powder online. But I have primers and they came in just a cardboard box. So you're probably right. I just want to be sure so as if I'm ever pulled over and they want to search the trailer. Then I'm above and beond what the law calls for.
Primers don't become ready to ignite until they get seated into a cartridge. When they are manufactured, the anvil sits above the priming compound (which is in the bottom of the cup) until it gets pressed into a case. At which point the 2 pieces are squished together, so they are touching, and it is then that the primer becomes active and ready to ignite. This is why handling new primers is not dangerous, but decapping unspent primers that have already been seated into brass cases requires a steady hand, slow movements, and consistent pressure to prevent them from igniting.

You gotta remember too...your average ground pounding beat cop isn't going to know a single DOT transport law...unless you pull into a truck weigh/check station the odds of ever getting checked are slim to none. But, I do see where you want to make sure you are legal.
As much nonsense thats going on these days. It's hard to tell what the average cop would think stepping into a situation like this.

Primers don't become ready to ignite until they get seated into a cartridge. When they are manufactured, the anvil sits above the priming compound (which is in the bottom of the cup) until it gets pressed into a case. At which point the 2 pieces are squished together, so they are touching, and it is then that the primer becomes active and ready to ignite. This is why handling new primers is not dangerous, but decapping unspent primers that have already been seated into brass cases requires a steady hand, slow movements, and consistent pressure to prevent them from igniting.
Thats something I didn't know. Thanks big guy.

I sure don't want to be labeled as a possible next mass shooter. That could get bad for me fast.

Ah primers can ignite outside of a rifle case. I've seen whole primer tubes go up at once.

Ah primers can ignite outside of a rifle case. I've seen whole primer tubes go up at once.
They CAN, you're 100% right. I never said they were completely harmless outside of being into a case. There's a reason why they still ship ORM-D and HAZMAT. :cool:

I just said that's how they're designed to work.

I'm just clarifying. Your post makes it sound like the primers don't become "active" until they are in a case. Primers can ignite at any time with impact. A newbie could think they are inert until in a case. They can be dangerous even outside a case.

10-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS. 10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 LB (11.3kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, may be transported in a private vehicle.
10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb (11.3kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.
10-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.
10-3.4 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants in quantities not exceeding 100 lb. (45.4kg) are classified for transportation purposes as flammable solids when packaged according to U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations. (Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Park 173.197a), and shall be transported accordingly.
10-3.5 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg) or not packaged in accordance with the regulations cited in 10-3.4 shall be transported according to the U. S. Department of Transportation regulations for Class B propellant explosives.
10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U. S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

cohunt, would the DOT container need an appropriate hazmat placard? Would the trailer need placarding as well? I believe the trailer would if it contained over a certain amount of hazardous weight.

I too will be in that predicament soon....travel trailer cowboys....
I paln to remove part of the living accomdations and rebuild a liteweight loading station.....shouldnt take much changing....but definitely want to keep weight at a minimum....as rifles will make enough extra weight as is....cant leave the babies home.....or at the ex's.....

I don't know if this will help you guys out but I've seen some people make load benches out of "workmate" folding benches. Harbor Freight has their version for around $21. Might save you some space.

I checked into the workmates before i build my temporary station....
Decided to make the temp from a section of microlam....narrow(12" depth), thick(2.5" deep), whatever lenght i needed(54" long)...
If i can remodel my food eating area..all i have to do is remove cushions and pull the work bench up from the storage area and install the press.....
Years of remodeling...with lots of time to figure it out.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.