Mobile reloading/ man cave

Welderboy11972

Hey guys,
I'd like to run an idea pass a few of you that travel across state lines with your reloading components. I work construction so I'm hadly ever at home. Maybe 4-5 times a year, mostly the 3 major holidays. Back about 5 years ago when I got into reloading and long range. I was lucky enuff that I was at the same job for a few years. The little mom and pop motel I stayed in was comfortable with me having guns/reloading stuff in my room. Well, its been all most 2 years that I've been off that job. I dont get to stay home long enuff to do much shooting and reloading. My addiction is taking it's toll...lol. So I've came up with a plan to get a bumper pull box trailer and have myself a moble reloading "room". I've researched on the transportation of firearms from state to state. All my rifles will be in a quality gunsafe, mounted in the box trailer. With locks on all the trailer doors. Loaded ammo will be stored separately in locked containers.
My questions is...
Do you think there would be any issues transporting smokeless powders? I only have 1lb jugs. Probably around 8-10 jugs total.
Do you think there would be any issues transporting primers? I have about 8000 primers.

Just looking for alittle advice from more experienced reloaders that travel.
Thanks guys.

Not sure but I use a Lee handloader all the time when working up loads at the range bench. You cannot FL resize, don't have the leverage, but for neck sizing and seating, hard to beat and it fits in your pocket. Cheap too. The kit with all the fixings is about 50 bucks.

Hey guys,
I'd like to run an idea pass a few of you that travel across state lines with your reloading components. I work construction so I'm hadly ever at home. Maybe 4-5 times a year, mostly the 3 major holidays. Back about 5 years ago when I got into reloading and long range. I was lucky enuff that I was at the same job for a few years. The little mom and pop motel I stayed in was comfortable with me having guns/reloading stuff in my room. Well, its been all most 2 years that I've been off that job. I dont get to stay home long enuff to do much shooting and reloading. My addiction is taking it's toll...lol. So I've came up with a plan to get a bumper pull box trailer and have myself a moble reloading "room". I've researched on the transportation of firearms from state to state. All my rifles will be in a quality gunsafe, mounted in the box trailer. With locks on all the trailer doors. Loaded ammo will be stored separately in locked containers.
My questions is...
Do you think there would be any issues transporting smokeless powders? I only have 1lb jugs. Probably around 8-10 jugs total.
Do you think there would be any issues transporting primers? I have about 8000 primers.

Just looking for alittle advice from more experienced reloaders that travel.
Thanks guys.
Thanks Flip. I just reread my post and I'm thinking it's a little vague. I'm going to be pulling the trailer from town to town, where ever I'm working. When I have to go to a different job. I can hook up to the trailer and relocate. The trailer will be parked in a motel parking lot, until I change jobs. I probably won't be taking the trailer to a range. I just want the convenience of having my guns and reloading stuff with me. So if I get a day off or something, I can go hang out in the trailer and enjoy my hobby.

The Lee has been very good for me. It's cheap and works, just cannot FL resize with it. Having said that I have, sort of. I FL resize all my 300WM and 308 cases but I use a custom machined John Whidden dies for both (machined to my chambers) so the FL resize effort is appreciably less than say using a stock die to FL resize on assorted brass. The spent brass for both rifles is recycled for those rifles only. Setback is in a big press so no setback either.

I weld to, but in the shop, certified in TIG and SMAW. Too old to travel anyway so I stay here. Do a little field work with my Lincoln gas driven set in the back of the truck, mostly busted farm equipment in the field. Nothing fancy. Have a good friend that does the N thing and makes big jack but he's never home either. He happens to be the guy that certifies all the welders on the outage jobs. He got me into TIG years ago. I've welded a few coke cans butt to butt before. Kind of a money making hobby for me.

10-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS. 10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 LB (11.3kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, may be transported in a private vehicle.
10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb (11.3kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.
10-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.
10-3.4 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants in quantities not exceeding 100 lb. (45.4kg) are classified for transportation purposes as flammable solids when packaged according to U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations. (Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Park 173.197a), and shall be transported accordingly.
10-3.5 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg) or not packaged in accordance with the regulations cited in 10-3.4 shall be transported according to the U. S. Department of Transportation regulations for Class B propellant explosives.
10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U. S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.

I think with the powder you'd need to call the manufacturers and discuss any vibration issues and possible coating or kernel wear. I'm wondering that with moving around a lot IF there will be wearing down so coatings rub off or kernels change shape and get smaller.

The Lee has been very good for me. It's cheap and works, just cannot FL resize with it. Having said that I have, sort of. I FL resize all my 300WM and 308 cases but I use a custom machined John Whidden dies for both (machined to my chambers) so the FL resize effort is appreciably less than say using a stock die to FL resize on assorted brass. The spent brass for both rifles is recycled for those rifles only. Setback is in a big press so no setback either.

I weld to, but in the shop, certified in TIG and SMAW. Too old to travel anyway so I stay here. Do a little field work with my Lincoln gas driven set in the back of the truck, mostly busted farm equipment in the field. Nothing fancy. Have a good friend that does the N thing and makes big jack but he's never home either. He happens to be the guy that certifies all the welders on the outage jobs. He got me into TIG years ago. I've welded a few coke cans butt to butt before. Kind of a money making hobby for me.
I know what your talking with age. 26 years of pipeline work definitely has my knees and hips feeling like they are on there last leg...lol...

Tha
10-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS. 10-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 LB (11.3kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, may be transported in a private vehicle.
10-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb (11.3kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.
10-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.
10-3.4 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants in quantities not exceeding 100 lb. (45.4kg) are classified for transportation purposes as flammable solids when packaged according to U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations. (Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Park 173.197a), and shall be transported accordingly.
10-3.5 Commercial shipments of smokeless propellants exceeding 100 lb (45.4 kg) or not packaged in accordance with the regulations cited in 10-3.4 shall be transported according to the U. S. Department of Transportation regulations for Class B propellant explosives.
10-3.6 Smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by U. S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.
Thanks Cohunt, looks like I need to find a U.S. DOT container.

I think with the powder you'd need to call the manufacturers and discuss any vibration issues and possible coating or kernel wear. I'm wondering that with moving around a lot IF there will be wearing down so coatings rub off or kernels change shape and get smaller.
Thats a great point xsn 10s. I will definitely check into that. Thanks, I greatly appreciate others perspective on things. Almost makes a person wonder about factory loads that get shipped around.

Cabelas sales smokeless powder storage container that are approved. I'll stop in Wheeling and pick up one on my way home for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Thanks again.

It might be a non issue. Much of the ammo I used in the Army probably bounced around a lot too so I could be way off on this. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

I would think the jugs the factory uses are DOT approved for shipping...
I haven't ordered powder online. But I have primers and they came in just a cardboard box. So you're probably right. I just want to be sure so as if I'm ever pulled over and they want to search the trailer. Then I'm above and beond what the law calls for.

I think whatever you store or transport in you don't want it to be "air tight". You want it to be able to vent off gases in case it does ignite. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me. I'd rather not see anyone get hurt.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts