MOA and MRAD calculations for bullet drop

jhfleming

Buying a scope for a new rifle (300 Win Mag) used Hornady's ballisticcalculator to get bullet drop of 54" at 500Y, 312" at 1000Y &921" at 1500Y. That's Nosler's 210g AccuBond Long Range Spitzer with a BCof .730 with a muzzle velocity of 2659 fps and a zero range of 100Y.

What are the equations to get the number of MOA's & MRAD's needed forthese drops for a new scope? Trying to make sure the scope will have enoughelevation adjustment to out to 1500Y or if I need a 20 or 40 MOA base.

Yes I'll never shoot to 1500Y and I can site into a longer range, etc... I'm just using these numbers as a baseline for comparison.

Need the Equations please. Thanks.

Buying a scope for a new rifle (300 Win Mag) used Hornady's ballisticcalculator to get bullet drop of 54" at 500Y, 312" at 1000Y &921" at 1500Y. That's Nosler's 210g AccuBond Long Range Spitzer with a BCof .730 with a muzzle velocity of 2659 fps and a zero range of 100Y.

What are the equations to get the number of MOA's & MRAD's needed forthese drops for a new scope? Trying to make sure the scope will have enoughelevation adjustment to out to 1500Y or if I need a 20 or 40 MOA base.

Yes I'll never shoot to 1500Y and I can site into a longer range, etc... I'm just using these numbers as a baseline for comparison.

Need the Equations please. Thanks.
Hornady's calculator works very well and does the calculations for you.

Just figure out whther your scope adjustments are MOA or Mil based and set the calculator to give you your drops in the appropriate format.

These can all be loaded in your phone
Mildot calculator app(free)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatifeellikeprogramming.milDotCalculator&hl=en
Sniper calculator app(free version)
Sniper Calculator Free - Android Apps and Tests - AndroidPIT
Strelok (free) they have the most reticles to show holds
Strelok. Ballistic calculator 2.3.7 - Free Download
Shooter's diary I have my 243 243ai and 270 in this so far. Seems gtg but I still use a book and pencil with photo's from a camera other than my phone for dope
Shooters Diary Free | AppBrain Android Market
These are free versions some have pro versions The ballistics will convert to either moa or mils.
I've use the strelok for awhile and have my drops in everything I shoot loaded. I change the weather as needed and it works. The sniper calculator's hold over you can change with different magnification settings. It also has a nice wind direction featureand cosine/slope feature. It gives you the click numbers and you can place the bullseye on the reticle if your plotted cold bore is out of the normal zero to correct off of. Still playing with it it has not hiccuped on me yet though
The mildot calculator is just that. Your input can be inches yards or meters for size of target. Then you give the mil reading and press calculate. Straight forward ranging in a pinch if you have a mildot based reticle

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.