Vortex MOA or MRAD?

I like moa because im so used to thinking in inches and its a smaller increment, but its really personal preference. As long as your turrets match the markings in your reticle you wont have a problem.

It depends on you and how you are going to use the scope. If you are used to MOA and struggle with math, going to a MRAD (milli-radian, or MIL) reticle will be difficult. However, if you intend to use the scope for ranging, then the MRAD is easier, and, you are going to have to go thru some math anyway. If I would be spending the money to get a FFP scope (do not know if you are getting a FFP or a SFP), then I would absolutely get a Mil/Mil scope.

Once you get used to it, Mil is alot easier and faster. There is a reason why the military has gotten away from MOA and gone towards Mil. Until you get to used to Mil/Mil scope, the easy conversion is that three clicks of a Mil scope (most turrets on mil scopes move 0.1 MRAD per click) is equivalent to four clicks on a MOA scope (most turrets on a MOA scope move 1/4 MOA per click). Here is a little more detail on the conversion: One MRAD is equal to 3.438 MOA. Most MIL/MIL scopes have turrets with 0.1 MRAD clicks. Thus, 0.1 MRAD is equal to 0.34 MOA (or approximately 1/3 MOA). Just like a one click will move the point of impact approximately 1/4" at 100 yards (actually would move 0.262") on a MOA scope, one click on a MRAD scope would move the point of impact 0.36". There is an abundance of information out there on MRAD vs. MOA.

For me, I am slowly converting my scopes to Mil/Mil & FFP. I have a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP Mil/Mil scope and could not be happier.

mmh has a good handle on it. If you think in Inches- MOA all the way. If you think in metric-MRAD is the way to go. I would also match your reticle to your range finder (yards-MOA, Meters MRAD)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.