Mill or moa

What price range are you looking at? There are several good mil/mil choices between $500-$1000. A few I know of are Weaver tactical, Bushnell Elite Tactical, Sightron SIII LRMD/CM, Super Sniper, and Vortex Viper PST. Some are even FFP.

With all of the expenses that I have right now, under 400 bucks would be great. But....lol....as it tends to go with me, I seem to have champagne taste on a beer budget. So deciding between features is a real chore for me.

I'll probably end up saving for longer than I'd like to and buying a Vortex Viper PST. It really seems to have all that I'm looking for and seems to do it cheaper than most other manufacturer's offerings.

Both have subtle advantages and are field proven.

I chose 1/10MIL adjustments with a matching Mil-dot reticle for the following reasons:

1. Less clicks to keep track of to get dialed in. For instance if I am shooting at 400yds I need to dial 2MIL which is 20 clicks. If I was using 1/4MOA I would need to dial 26 clicks. Less clicks means I can get on target a little quicker. The further you go the more this is amplified.

2. Units of ten are easy to multiply or divide i.e. 3.7 MIL equals 37 clicks vs. the equivalent 13MOA which is 52 clicks.

3. Mil-dot reticles are well matched for modern rifle ballistics. When sighted in at 100yds you can hold 1MIL for 300yds, 2MIL for 400yds and 3MIL for 500yds and it will get you pretty close. It essentially acts similar to the bullet drop compensator reticles. Also using a mil-dot reticle I can spot my own shots and see if I hit a half mil low in my scope then I can easily compensate.

4. Mil-Dot reticles can be used for ranging targets of a known size.

Use this formula (size of target in yards) x 1000 = (distance in yards)/(size of target in mils)

For instance a mule deer's chest size is 18 inches or 0.5 Yards and lets say it takes up 1 MIL in your scope

(0.5) x (1000) = (distance)/(1 MIL) solve the equation and you get 500yds, good to know if your rangefinder dies!

Once again both systems work fine, but get a scope where the adjustments match the reticle be it MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL. Learn it and practice.

I like the mil. If I look at the target and see that I hit .4 mils off center I just adjust .4mils. If I can get onto it anyone can. It's just my opinion nothing else.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts