Mill hash marks

I definitely hear ya on the debate enough said lol. It's really interesting how in the last few years the whole industry has evolved. And the direction it's going
In my defense, as someone who had history with Leupold Mark 4 scopes, moa turrets, and mil dot reticles.
O.M.G, dial some wind and hold the miss, my head still hurts

Let me apologize for being assertive though, I honestly do not want to control which direction you go.
Both work.
I just know, I would have never switched to mils if .5 was all that was available.
No worries. I'd rather get advice from someone who knows the systems. Instead of doing something wrong
Save a few more bucks and look at the Leupold VX5's or spend some time looking at used Mark IV's and VX-6's.

You would not be the least bit disappointed in the 4.5-14x50 or the VX-5 2-15x50.

I have some mil based IOR Valdada's and like them, but I prefer either a straight Mil Dot or Leupold's TMR Reticles. MOA is a lot easier to work with unless you have a long career working with military/LEO optics that are mil based.

My sub tension hash marks for the sub mils in the mil scopes are .5mils graduations and they are adequate as I can always split the difference if need be.
Ok thank you

Again it goes to use and practice. Say a 10" piece of steel at 1000 and you need to go to it as a hold and need 8.8 mils. If you drop the 9 mil mark above you will hit as at 1000 .1 mil is 3.6" so you are at 7.2 " below the 9 mark. It's simple. Same with holding under and also using the .5 mil mark to hit .4 or .6. I have seen people get confused with .2 mil marks because there are too many marks for quick shots. This is why I told you to have him look at them and see what works. As I said I use both and have no problems with either.

As to resale, again it falls into peoples likes. I sold a .5 mil scope for about $200 less than I paid for it 6 years ago.

Last edited:
I feel it's in what you are use too. You might look at a CrimsonTrace scope. (Midway) If using a MOA and changing over Mil dot. print out a chart and tape it to your stock. You can do that on excel and reduce the size of it. From what I have read the CrimsonTrace is or has been a good scope. I have one, but haven't put it into action. For $600.00 at that time I figured I would try and see. I got a 3x18x50 in a 34mm tube. To me they a cheap in price, and I wonder it that going to the case on how the scope is going act.

I feel it's in what you are use too. You might look at a CrimsonTrace scope. (Midway) If using a MOA and changing over Mil dot. print out a chart and tape it to your stock. You can do that on excel and reduce the size of it. From what I have read the CrimsonTrace is or has been a good scope. I have one, but haven't put it into action. For $600.00 at that time I figured I would try and see. I got a 3x18x50 in a 34mm tube. To me they a cheap in price, and I wonder it that going to the case on how the scope is going act.
Ok thank you I'll check it out

I'm glad you mentioned them. They are very new to the variable scope/magnified optic market but they've been producing outstanding equipment for a long time.

If one wants to take a bit of a gamble on a newcomer to the market to save some big bucks that's one I would certainly consider.

They are also produced in the US not China or The Philippines which I consider a big plus. I have yet to confirm it but from what I've been told by someone pretty reliable is that they are using very good quality Japanese glass but the rest is done here in the US.