moa scope options?Vortex, Ior

I think I've narrowed down the scopes to Ior valdada 3.5-18x50 ffp moa.or the razor hd 5-20x50 ffp moa. Will be doing hunting and hopefully some steel shooting to 1000 yrds. Also would a 20 moa base be needed on a Remington 700? I mainly looking for moa because I am familiar with the Units of measurement. And suggestions are appreciated. Under 2000 preferred

The action has nothing to do with whether or not you will need a 20 moa base. The caliber, the max distance you plan to shoot with it, and how much elevation adjustment your scope has is what all determines the need for a doped base or not.

The 5-20 razor would suit you nicely and you ptobably wouldn't need a 20 most rail to get to 1000 but it isn't long after 1000 that you keep pushing it farther and farther lol

I think I've narrowed down the scopes to Ior valdada 3.5-18x50 ffp moa.or the razor hd 5-20x50 ffp moa. Will be doing hunting and hopefully some steel shooting to 1000 yrds. Also would a 20 moa base be needed on a Remington 700? I mainly looking for moa because I am familiar with the Units of measurement. And suggestions are appreciated. Under 2000 preferred

IMHO, Bruce puts it best ...

Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.

If your considering a razor, have you ruled out a nightforce?

The way I understand it, nighforce only makes 3-15x in ffp. Ok so it sounds like I want the 20moa base I was just curious wanted to make sure it wouldnt be too high for a 100yrd zero. Caliber will be 7mm rem mag. Thanks for the replies.

For extreme long range, nothing really beats the Vortex Razor for amount of elevation adjustment. Plus I'm sure you know all about how they have the best warranty in the business.

I have had both Vortex and IOR. Needless to say IOR has my attention fully. With the clarity IOR by far and for tracking plus Val at IOR will always do right with a great warranty but you will never need to use it. When I had my Vortex i had to send it in multiple times for warranty work thats why I got rid of it. Don't get me wrong I love nightforce just not as clear as Valdada imo.

I have had both Vortex and IOR. Needless to say IOR has my attention fully. With the clarity IOR by far and for tracking plus Val at IOR will always do right with a great warranty but you will never need to use it. When I had my Vortex i had to send it in multiple times for warranty work thats why I got rid of it. Don't get me wrong I love nightforce just not as clear as Valdada imo.

Just to make sure did you have the viper or the razor? Thanks for the info

Just to make sure did you have the viper or the razor? Thanks for the info

I have had the razor and PST. The razor is ten times better than the PST but still had problems with every vortex I have had. All the way down to the diamondback. I have heard from a buddy that is on the vortex prostaff that says the razor this year is different. Better than before.

I have had the razor and PST. The razor is ten times better than the PST but still had problems with every vortex I have had. All the way down to the diamondback. I have heard from a buddy that is on the vortex prostaff that says the razor this year is different. Better than before.

Geez I actually have the diamondback on one rifle it's been good to me so far , the new ones do look nice but I think they may be a little too heavy for a hunting setup . The ior seemed nice I guess there just not as well known .

razor if you are going to use it. Durability of ior has not impressed me. Never had a problem with the 5 pieces of vortex optics i own not as much can be said about my 2 different buddies ior's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.