Lightweight scope options

I've been using the Leupold VX3s in some version for the past several years and love them. I just upgraded to a VX3HD 4.5-14x40 last year and continue to be pleased with the product.
The Leupolds are light and the glass has always been plenty good enough for my needs!

Got my hands on a Kimber Montana .308 & a Howa Alpine Mountain rifle in .7mm-08, looking to keep things as light as possible for the type of backpack hunting I do for blacktails and Black Bears. Leaning toward Leupold to save weight but Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance guys.
Leupold is my "go to" brand for deer and bear hunting rifles. I'd suggest that you look at a fixed power 4X, or if you may need more field of view, the 1-4X and 1.5-5X variables are well proven and reasonably light. -Ed

I have a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with the BRH reticle. It is pretty nice, if you aren't looking to dial. Lightweight rifle may be all you need.

I have the NF 3-10x42 as well and can only recommend you get behind it before purchase. It seems to have a really unforgiving eyebox. I cannot get rid of the scope shadow all around it. This is a complaint I have asked others about on here and they have the same. Perfect for what I wanted, but would not do that again or recommend it to another without testing. No issue with the NSX 3-15 or 5.5-22.

My 4-14x40 Leupold LR is surprising me lately. It does not hold the parallax as it should, but has been on my RUM and doing fine for some load work. Haven't shot at distance though. Not sure I would want it on a true long range rifle.

I am interested in the Leupold Mark3HD 4-12. I think it is about 16oz or so.

I'm an FFP shooter and my suggestions are:
  1. Vortex LHT 4.5-22. Nice reticle, locking elevation turret, and weighs 21oz. This what sits on my hunting rifle
  2. Tangent Theta 3-15 hunter. I would have bought this if the Vortex didn't work out.
On the SFP front I would look at the march 1.5-15. It's light and checks a lot of boxes as well.

Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 is my personal favorite for the Kimber Montana.

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 4-16x50 that I also like - I just have a longer history with Leupold and what abuse they can take. It's 4-5oz heavier than the VX5HD so it sits on a 7.5# rifle instead of one that is less than 6#.

I intend to try the Meopta Optika-5 3-15x50 at some point but have no idea how it will hold up to a beating. Their 3-15x44 is a couple ounces more than the VX5HD but I can get one for $400 from Doug at Cameralandny.com

I also like the 3-9 x 40 Trijicon Accupoint. No battery with an illuminated center dot. With so many scopes having 30mm tube diameters it is getting harder to find a lightweight 1" tube,weight 13.4 oz. I have one on a 7 1/2 lb 338 RCM which was used to take an elk this past winter. It allows a perfect cheek weld on an unaltered Ruger stock, something many 30mm scopes cannot do as they have to sit too high for larger tube body and often a large front objective to clear the barrel.

I also like the 3-9 x 40 Trijicon Accupoint. No battery with an illuminated center dot. With so many scopes having 30mm tube diameters it is getting harder to find a lightweight 1" tube,weight 13.4 oz. I have one on a 7 1/2 lb 338 RCM which was used to take an elk this past winter. It allows a perfect cheek weld on an unaltered Ruger stock, something many 30mm scopes cannot do as they have to sit too high for larger tube body and often a large front objective to clear the barrel.

Illuminated center point with no battery???