Scope Options

snowpro440

Hi everybody, just thought I would ask about reccomendations on scopes for 400 to 1200 yard shooting at targets and game for my 300 win mag. I have the cheaper made scopes such as tasco ,simmons,and bushnell up to 16 power and i need more magnification and quality, I looked through someone else's nightforce in the 12x42x56 benchrestand i was amazed at the difference an clarity,but the price goes along way . Is there something out there in the $700 range that will give me the clear glass look an magnification to shoot at 1200 yds?lightbulb

Hi everybody, just thought I would ask about reccomendations on scopes for 400 to 1200 yard shooting at targets and game for my 300 win mag. I have the cheaper made scopes such as tasco ,simmons,and bushnell up to 16 power and i need more magnification and quality, I looked through someone else's nightforce in the 12x42x56 benchrestand i was amazed at the difference an clarity,but the price goes along way . Is there something out there in the $700 range that will give me the clear glass look an magnification to shoot at 1200 yds?lightbulb

I would look at scopes in the 6.5x20x50 or 56 range.

The eye relief (position of the head to the ocular lense) becomes very critical in hunting conditions if you go much more than that. If you plan on shooting prone all the time
then you can go with more power.

I prefer the 4.5x14x 50s for all around use and 14x is plenty of power for 1200yrds even
for my old eyes. and I recomend 30mm tubes with side focus.( Bigger glass,Better light ).

Leupold makes good scopes in this price range as do others so you can start there and
compare features and then decide whitch Brand you want.

J E CUSTOM

Sightron S3 LR in 6-24 or 8-32

the 6-24 has 100 MOA and the 8-32 has 70 MOA

both are reported to have better glass than the NF and the clicks are almost as crisp.

Best thing is lifetime warranty and both under $800 if you look around.

Larry Scott on www.6mmbr.com seems to have the best prices right now at around $740.

guys with NFs are starting to complain the market for used NFs is coming down now that the Sightrons have hit the street, especially on the anything other than the 5-22x NSX. Sightron has a new 10-50 due out in Oct or around there also.

BH

I prefer the Nikon Lines. I have 2 buckmaster models. The first that I use on my woods gun is a Buckmaster 4.5-14X40 w/side focus in a mil-dot. The other is a Buckmaster 6-18X40 w/side focus in a target dot. This one sits on my field gun. So far it allows me to see Groundhogs at extended distances with good clarity.

If I were to upgrade, I would look into the Moncarch line which gives 30mm tubes, or the Sitron SIII in the 8-32.

Can't beat the Nikon's for the price.

Tank

you could probably find a 6.5-20 or a 8.5-24 leupold for that, mabey even with a 30mm tube. i've got a 6.5-20 right now and its very clear out that far...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.