Light weight Scope Options

pburton

I am having a custom rifle built. I am trying to keep it as light as possible for packing around in the mountains. I am down to deciding on the optics. I want to be able to take this out to 1000 yards. I have looked at several scopes. I really like the Nightforce but they are on the heavy side for my liking. My price range is around $1500 max. I would like to hear some opinions. Thanks again everyone.

Paul

I was just looking at the Zeiss HD5 with the ballistic turret. How does that turret work for you? Is it MOA adjustment or is it yardage adjustments? I can't find any info on it.

The lightest scope I've ever owned is the Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50 with the 4D reticle. They don't have target turrets, and depending on how fast your bullet travels, and depending on your zero yardage, you might be able to make it to 1K without having to adjust the turrets.

They are extremely light, and the glass is phenomenal...But the lack of reticle options might kill the idea for you.

They are just under your $1,500 budget. Midway USA sells them, if you want to check them out.

I am having a custom rifle built. I am trying to keep it as light as possible for packing around in the mountains. I am down to deciding on the optics. I want to be able to take this out to 1000 yards. I have looked at several scopes. I really like the Nightforce but they are on the heavy side for my liking. My price range is around $1500 max. I would like to hear some opinions. Thanks again everyone.

Paul

Please take no offense but consider taking an extra 1/2 pound or so off your backpack and get the NF that you like to compliment your new custom built rifle for the long range shot.

I carry a 12-lbs rifle (with scope, sling, and bipod) up and down Montana wilderness with ~40-lbs backpack. I'm not the most physically fit feller out there but I do try to condition myself all year around to handle the lug weight and the hunting demands. At age 52, it's getting harder and harder but glad I'm still able to enjoy it! :D

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

I appreciate the input from everyone. Feenix has a good point and something I am going to have to think about. I have never had a rifle custom built, so I am not used to the weight that is associated with this. I have hunted with basically factory rifles my whole life. I don't think that it will be to hard to get used to. Hmm, what to do...

It is an easy transition to go from factory to a heavier custom especially if it shoots awesome. I think a NF is probably the toughest most durable scope and worth the weight. but I also like a nice VX-3 LR. they are great scopes. I would also look at kahles and swaro I have never had either but have shot both and liked them.. Zeiss I would not buy again... good scopes till they need repair then zeiss shows their true colors. I will never buy another.

It is an easy transition to go from factory to a heavier custom especially if it shoots awesome. I think a NF is probably the toughest most durable scope and worth the weight. but I also like a nice VX-3 LR. they are great scopes. I would also look at kahles and swaro I have never had either but have shot both and liked them.. Zeiss I would not buy again... good scopes till they need repair then zeiss shows their true colors. I will never buy another.
That's odd....Zeiss has always shown me exceptional customer service when dealing with them in the past.

You are probably right. After I re-thinking this, with a Nightforce my custom should come in at just under 10lbs. Which by the standards on this site is not very heavy. And you are right that if it shoots as great as I hope it will that I won't care about the little extra weight. With a Swarovski I would be close to 9lbs. Which would be perfect. So I will have to give it some more thought. Thanks again for all of the input.

I was just looking at the Zeiss HD5 with the ballistic turret. How does that turret work for you? Is it MOA adjustment or is it yardage adjustments? I can't find any info on it.

Haven't actually used it yet...the rifle its for won't be finished until at least October (Nosler M48 Custom, 280 Ackley)

The dials are in MOA...

My rifle has a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and weighs 6lb 13oz. It has 26" barrel. I guess you can guess I suggest the z5. It is about one ounce heavier than the 3 1/2-18X with lots more top end.

I appreciate all of input from everyone. It did help a great deal in making my decision. Even though I initially was looking for a light weight scope, I ended up deciding on going with what scope I liked the best. I ordered a Nightforce this morning. It is going to be a little heavier than what I originally wanted but I have been very impressed with all of the Nightforce scopes that I have used. Thanks again.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.