bullet and wind drop charts

7magcreedmoor ;

When you have the yardage on your turrets aren't you disregarding all the weather factors ?
My .243 with 115 grain bullets will easily be off by 2' vertical at 1000 yards just from air conditions so I just stick with MOA and calculate.

Does anyone have any of their drop charts they could share? I'm just looking for some ideas on layouts for ease of read, etc. Maybe what your shooting/ log book look like. I've been on the look out for a nice small zip up two/three ring about 8"x6" that can have info or papers added, maybe with a nice spot to stick a small calculator and a pencil or pen holder. I don't want anything that will be too large or bumbly and I can easily slide it in my pack.

I would recommend Bryan Litz's book "Applied Ballistics" to anyone seeking a better understanding of this subject. He deals with both theory and practical use in layman's terms, without leaving out anything important. ....

I eagerly endorse that recommendation. Started reading it and had a tough time putting it down to answer the call for dinner.

Crowsnest:

Barrelnut's initial post for this thread (07-23-2014, 08:20 AM) is a good starting point.

It's easy to get confused when trying to make the adjustment from milliradian to using MOA because, IMO, when you think of MOA as inches your brain wants to wander back to the "inches" relationship you learned using Mil-Dots. The technique that worked for me was to print my dope sheet in MOA, spend a day at the range at a variety of distances and practice thinking "MOA = 1 inch times distance to target divided by 100" and staring at my turrets to memorize that "the long lines are 1 MOA, the short lines are .25 MOA. (My scope is .25 MOA clicks) To make the math less complicated, I forgot about the zeros in distance to target (that way I didn't have to do the division) so 1 MOA at one hundred yards worked out to 1x1=1, 1 MOA at two hundred yards 1x2=2, and (progressively) 1 MOA at a thousand yards 1x10 = 10.
I shoot 1000 yard competition and I understand the one MOA=1.047 inches - but the half inch that I lose in the calculation over my maximum range does not lay heavily on my mind. All factors considered, I can't pray hard enough to hold a .5 inch group at 1000 yards anyway. :rolleyes:

So what's the MOA advantage? One Mil equals 3.6 inches at 100 yards. At one level of power (depending on who made the scope - the reference scope power level varies from one scope maker to another) your scope will remain relatively true to that standard. But when you change viewing power you have to make a relative adjustment in how you calculate Mils. Using MOA, 1 MOA equals 1 MOA at 100 yards, regardless of what power your scope is set at. Mils work well for ranging. So if you don't have a range finder that type of reticle may be useful. But target ranges typically use fixed distance targets and in the field my range finder tells me what I need to know about how long a shot I'm faced with and my dope sheet (prepared at the range and adjusted to reflect real world results rather than just a computer calculation) tells me the rest.

Last edited:
Crowsnest - don't read this; it'll just confuse ya.

Barrelnut

You slipped a digit. As you noted, the difference between MOA and inches is 4.7%. A typical dialup at 600 yards depending on your rifle will be 50 to 60 inches. If you are off by 4.7% that will be about 2.5 inches. I'm not willing to add that kind of error if I don't have to.

I ain't no engineer ... but my math ain't bad.
If calculating MOA is accomplished by multiplying 1 MOA (1.047 inches) by the distance in yards (x) and dividing by 100 then .047 times yardage divided by 100 equals the potential error. If that's true, then .047 times 600 divided by 100 equals .2502 or about 1/4 inch.
I suspect you missed a step in your calcs.

FearNoWind

The distance subtended by 1 minute of angle at 100 yards is 1.047 inches. If one approximates 1 MOA as 1 inch at 100 yards as was suggested the 0.047 part goes away and the error in total come up would be 4.7% (too low) at whatever range one tries to shoot.

Let us take a real world example. My 30-06 loaded with 150 TTSXs will be 9.44 MOA low at 600 yards if I just point and pull the trigger. But instead of just pulling the trigger lets us dial up a correction first. So I take my 1/4 " per click scope and crank it up 9.5 inches which is as close to the 9.44 number I can get with my click value and amounts to 6 X 9.5 inches or 57 inches of come up out at 600 yards. Since 9.44 MOA actually equates to 59.34 inches the shot will be 2.34" low.

As was suggested, just use a scope that is marked with the same click values as is output by your ballistics program and you will be good to go - no math required.

7magcreedmoor ;

When you have the yardage on your turrets aren't you disregarding all the weather factors ?
My .243 with 115 grain bullets will easily be off by 2' vertical at 1000 yards just from air conditions so I just stick with MOA and calculate.

You just watch the firestorm that follows this. (It'll be fun, trust me.) There are several approaches to long range tech for field shooting. Two of the "leading" schools of thought are: Yardage turret guys, OR, Ballistic calculator guys. If you have noticed Huskemaw Optics scopes in the Online Store section of this website, then you have seen the basic concept of yardage turrets for rapid field compensation. If you have looked at products from Kestrel and or Iphone apps that have ballistic calculators in them, then you have seen the other approach. Calc guys swear that turret guys can't hit the broad side of a barn with the doors closed at anything other than the exact environmental conditions for which their turret was set up. Turret guys sneer back that the calc guys have to juggle six different devices just to set up for one shot. It can be an entertaining debate. Then along come the Davidson brothers with the G7 BR2 Rangefinder that literally does it all in one box. (That gizmo is also available in the LRH online store). Basically what it comes down to is you use the tech that your budget allows you to aquire. I have turrets that are set up for the "typical" enviro factors where I hunt with that particular rifle, and I have a drop card with the details for enviro changes on it, which I can fall back on using the MOA markings that are ALSO on the turret. For shots that are not "way the hell out there", in "normal" enviro conditions, I lase, dial and shoot. It works fine. When conditions deviate by "enough", or the distance is more challenging, I go to the chart and dial MOA. And that works fine. So you see I actually like BOTH methods, because I use BOTH methods. And someday I will buy a BR2... Give a quick read to the article on Huskemaw for a real good explanation of how to make minor compensation for changes in conditions when using a yardage turret. And remember you really can have it both ways if you want to. I have attached pics of one of my turrets, showing it set to 200 yards (base zero) then mid range and finally 1100 yards. You can see the MOA scale around the base in all the pics. When I am hunting at home in December, the weather fits the turret very well. shooting in summer, no real diff out to about 600 yards, go to the chart farther out. It's all good.

Attachments

• Turret examples 003.JPG
    Turret examples 003.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Turret examples 004.JPG
    Turret examples 004.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Turret examples 005.JPG
    Turret examples 005.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 85
Thank you sir, I am looking more towards charts that I can just pull out when conditions are within those realms. I'm pretty poor when it comes to purchasing gadgets. My limited income for my entire family of four gets stretched thin. So if I use MOA or learn to use it, then use a chart that is within the ideal conditions of the environment at the time of shooting I should be fine. I can get a drop chart that mimics the environmental conditions before I even leave the house. I think I will also try the MOA method of practice that you mentioned. I really like this feedback and it its helping me get creative ideas for solving my problem. Thanks all.

Thank you sir, I am looking more towards charts that I can just pull out when conditions are within those realms. I'm pretty poor when it comes to purchasing gadgets. My limited income for my entire family of four gets stretched thin. So if I use MOA or learn to use it, then use a chart that is within the ideal conditions of the environment at the time of shooting I should be fine. I can get a drop chart that mimics the environmental conditions before I even leave the house. I think I will also try the MOA method of practice that you mentioned. I really like this feedback and it its helping me get creative ideas for solving my problem. Thanks all.

The ballistic calculator on this website will let you print very handy field cards for varying conditions, you just supply the data for your load. It is free. I used this to create the data that I sent to Kenton for my turrets.

I did use the calc originally, I also dumbly put in the G1 BC's. I'm kind of divided between G1&G7 because I'm using the 155amax's which aren't really suited so much as G7 worthy. I just need to shoot and compare as everyone should. I am really thinking about going to MOA, I can see the ease of use once you've got it down.

An Apology to Engineering101

Engineering101:

Well, I claimed that my math skills were pretty good. Apparently they are weaker than I realized.
I apologize to you, sir, for questioning your calculations.
Although my use of the scope's turret adjustments has been successful using what I believed was happening, I find that my understanding of what the adjustment outputs actually represent was incorrect.

FearNoWind

I'm usually thrilled when somebody points out something I'm doing wrong with my long range hunting/shooting so I hope with this tweak you will now shoot better than ever. I hate to admit it but I'm actually not very good at math however I am stubborn as hell so I just keep working at it until it all adds up. MOAs and such is a subject I have tried to understand but I find I have to retrain myself every now and then anyway. After all this I should be good to go for a couple of months at least. Thanks.

Been working with the moa on my scope, 1/4 moa per click, 15 total MOA per revolution. So much easier than doing 1 click at a time. Did the conversions over just mathematically from inches to MOA so I can understand better than just being told. Reviewed all and it was good. Thanks for pointing me towards MOA and using it. So much easier for quick elevation on the turrets.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.