Meplat trimming pf Nosler 180 Grn Partitions

No Buddy, I purchased them on E bay as NEW OLD STOCK. the paper inside the sealed bag was Nosler and 180 Grn. Partition . Also they are coated with what looks like Powdered Graphite. I have purchased blems from time to time from Shooters Pro shop, whenever Nosler had what I wanted on back order. So this was just a purchase , to get 180 grn Partitions to begin the load development process. I will be using H 4831SC, with Fed 215. Only 50 in a bag. For me that's two range sessions since I go to the range twice a week in the fall. I really appreciate the advice and feedback. Thank You, Lenny

Sinclair meplat trimmer would certainly clean them up. I use one and love it. I also used oooo steel wool and spin bullet to clean up any burs.

Hi Guys, here are two of them. They all look like this. This tiny out of round protrusion of Lead at the very tip. Since I only have been shooting Ballistic Tips and Accubond Long Range bullets, this caught me by surprise. Just looks sloppy . I was hoping not to trim off the tip, but simply to bring it more to a uniform point. I thought the meplat trimmer might be useful, I see now it would not. These bullets will be used in my .300 Weatherby Mag, at 3000 FPS, for an east coast Elk Hunt. Penn or Kentucky. The range will likely not exceed 400 yards. Thank You all for the responses, really helpful . Lenny
I'd just shoot them first to see what's up... Usually there is a bit of variation in lead tipped pills and it doesn't mean anything to accuracy as long as the weight is rather uniform and the diameter is stable. I've shot pills somewhat flattened by recoil and not really noticed an issue. If you really need orime bullets for a hunt you should (as said earlier) use these to get your practice in and have a box of 1sts for the hunt.
If they are coated I'd bet it is Molly and the pressures between coated and uncoated can change a bit.

Reading the threat and looking at the pics I believe this is "much too do about nothing."

How do they shoot in your rifle?

OBTW: are the bullets highly tarnished or did someone coat them? Pic is pretty grainy on my end. If it makes you feel better you could run them through a vibratory polisher.

The last time I checked, that's how they are made. See Feenix's second picture.
I think you're worrying about nothing, and may cause more problems.
Just load them and shoot.
what I have done for years with partitions before all the hammer's etc etc and all worked very well. Best they had back then. Now many more choices but partitions are tried and true...they work..

trimming will have zero benefit at hunting ranges… you may actually slow up expansion and have a negative impact… you might improve the consistency of BCs but you'll reduce it to the point you would want it for longer ranges… pictures is first quality uncoated 308 180 partition
590B1D70-B5A0-4BC1-A9D8-7A563586724B.jpeg

That lead is normal and probably designed to start expanlsion. Shoot them as is - they work fine for me for years.
Target getting ready for a short range(200yd) bear hunt. Adjustments then settled on 3/4 high

Attachments

• targets 004.jpg
    targets 004.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 49
Blems are usually just cosmetic with no effect on performance. I second the recommendation to shoot them "as is" and not worry about it. You'll do more harm than good by trimming. They're typically more accurate than most shooters in the field to well past 400 yards.

The last time I checked, that's how they are made. See Feenix's second picture.
I think you're worrying about nothing, and may cause more problems.
Just load them and shoot.
I agree. I would do 5 of them and shoot 5 before and 5 after. I doubt you will see any difference or the trimmed ones will be worse.