Max point blank range

I use it, but in a slightly different way.

Having started hunting as a bowhunter, I always have aimed for the heart as the best killing shot, and to guard against the animal dropping at the sound of the string.

Since the heart in in the lower third of a deers body, I use an enlarged MPBR of 10-12 inches but ONLY the part that is above my POA ( meaning that the bullet will never be more than 5-6 inches above my POA ). I do this for a few reasons. First, if an animal is anywhere from a few yards, out to my Zero range I should not need a rangefinder and am ready for a quick shot knowing that my bullet will not fall below my aim, and won't shoot above the "high shoulder shot" that some like.

If the deer is a long way off then there will be time for a rangefinder and either compensate by adjusting POA or spinning the turret.

Normally this is a Zero of about 300 yards. I am usually good at knowing if a deer is closer than 250 yards or so, depending on terrain, so I can aim and shoot without really thinking. IMO, I only really need to worry about windage and not drop and windage.

edge.

Edge, good info
Alot of other good info here.

urbaneruralite "most folks miss every time they shoot an animal"

All shooting situations are generally unique and hunting on the move type shots are the most difficult period. You or the animal you are shooting at.

Next is your style of shooting rest, always try to select the most sturdy/stable comfortable shooting rest position possible. This should all be occuring at the same time as checking and adjusting for range, wind direction and target aquisition. A laser range finder can come in handy.

BUCKY Fever and just plan bad luck are reasons for missing.

Know your firearm and your capabilities with the firearm.

SHOOT MORE, SHOOT MORE OFTEN.

Eaglet; I very much regret that my lame humor offended you. Your replies to my thread, along with almost every other reply, have allowed me to make an informed decision about how to use mpbr and I listened to what you had to say. Sorry you thought I singled you out. I didn't.

Back to the subject; based on all the answers I got, I've decided I need to stay with my 4" window. Badaboom and ur make a telling point; I don't always hit exactly on the poa, and that error will add to the size of the ballistic window. And just as important, it has become instinctive and works for me, so if I have to decide in seconds, I know I can take the shot or I know I have to pass.

Thanks to all, Tom

Tom,
You seem to be a good person, I feel bad my self, I think I over reacted and I'm also sorry for that. We're good!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.