maximum point blank range

Ahhh...the good ole days! 1996, Colorado deer hunt.... son & I had 7RM's w/ 3.5x10x44 Leupolds sighted "about" 3" hi at 100. Couldn't really tell ya the exact zero w/ that, never checked. But, IF you ever touched my scope turrets, you were in for a bad time! We used 1ft.-2ft.-4ft method: 1ft. at 300y, 2ft. at 400y, 4ft. at 500y & killed a lot of stuff w/ that method. Hadn't heard of MPR as yet. Back then my "internet" was Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, and Peterson's Hunting mag.

Anyway, this day, son spotted a nice buck waaay out there. No range finder back then. Dad guessed right at or slightly over 400y. Both got set up w/ a great sitting position side by side on a cross tie corner fence line. Both held a little over the top of the back. I;m gonna back him up. Count of 3 we shoot....boom....boom.... both rounds landed under that deer's belly between his legs. We both saw the dirt splash. Think he must have set a new world record for the high jump! Couldn't believe we both missed.?? wth? Stepped off the distance and was a 610 paces.... I'm 6'3 w/about a 30-31 in. stride. I figger the deer was a tad over 500! Guess who had one o' them fancy new range finders next year in deer camp? LOL. How things have progressed!

Thanks for posting 8x68s! Brought to mind a great memory for me.

The thing about a 100 yard zero and then dialing to MPBR vs a 300 yard mpbr zero is if you have any material changes in elevation, its no big deal with a 100 yard zero. For example I have gone from sea level to 10k ft hunting elk in colorado with a 300 wby that had a 300 yard zero. Gun was zeroed at sea level and it was crazy high at 300, even at 100 it was a few inches higher than it should have been. There is no material change with a 100 yard zero that I have noticed. I can input my new elevation into my software and tells me how many clicks my MPBR is at the new elevation.

If you are always hunting in the same place its no big deal. But if you travel all over like I do, it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Certainly not a new topic but one that I discovered a long time ago and brought up as a "refresher". It works for me but I don't shoot beyond 400 yards because that is my limit with this process. Not dissing LR or ELR hunting. Just a bit of old school brought forward...
Question- If you have high scope rings how much does this affect your 100 yard sight in vs how high it will be at 200 yards?

Question- If you have high scope rings how much does this affect your 100 yard sight in vs how high it will be at 200 yards?

I did a test with a 1.68" and a 2.2" height scope. The higher sight hit about 1/2" lower at 100 yards and about 1" higher at 300 yards. I used at least five shot groups. It may have been ten shots at each range after sighting it in again. The test took about three hours.

These numbers may not be exact since I am going from memory. Since then I use higher rings. I have been rediculed by folks who have not done the test. I just shrugged it off because I don't respect them.

I did a test with a 1.68" and a 2.2" height scope. The higher sight hit about 1/2" lower at 100 yards and about 1" higher at 300 yards. I used at least five shot groups. It may have been ten shots at each range after sighting it in again. The test took about three hours.

These numbers may not be exact since I am going from memory. Since then I use higher rings. I have been rediculed by folks who have not done the test. I just shrugged it off because I don't respect them.
I am finding similar results.

Sure I'm not the first, but for my rifles without adjustable turret, I use ballistic charts to determine where zero should be keeping my trajectory less than 3" high at 100 and less than 3" low at 300. Somewhere between 250-275 yards for many modern cartridges. Then create range card to match my and cartridge ability. I don't have indepth knowledge of LRH or ballistics so this just made common sense to me as a way to keep things simple. I live in western oklahoma and have the option to shoot long distances if I choose to, but I've always tried to set myself up for a 200 yard shot or closer. But I like having the option to stretch it out if need be. I practice out to 800 yards, the max distance I can shoot at the house, with my equipment that's far enough for me. I travel out west annually which is probably the only reason I consider longer shots, but at 54, I have yet to pull the trigger on an animal beyond 500 yds. I like the idea of putting a limit on certain things and focusing on the experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.