max point blank range or zero at 200

soundwaves

just wonderin guys. what you guys set your scopes to max point blank range or zero at 200? (for hunting from 0 yards to 500 yards)

sambo3006

Lots of guys run elevation turrets of some sort of ballistic reticle on their scopes. I do a little of both but I also have a 257 Weatherby that will be zeroed at 300 yards for deer next fall. Still have to shoot to verify but at 12X the lower duplex of my reticle should make a handy aiming point for 500 yards and hold pretty much dead on out to 400.

MontanaRifleman

I like to keep the top of my trajectory to about 3 inches. In my two LR rifles, 300 RUM and 25-06, I am getting 3400 fps which allows me to zero @ 300 yds which give me just less than 3" high @ 175 yds. With this zero I can hold on top of back @ 400 or about 2-3 MOA over at 500 yds (or dial). Less than 3300 fps and I zero @ 250 yds.

RFears

Zero mine 300yrd. Bulls eye zero, that works for most of my shots, then i just compensate with turret from there out to my max distance, where i hunt that is around 800.

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
I zero my flat shooters at 300 but I think a lot depends on what your intended target is and what other system you are using on your optics.....Rich

bigbuck

I zero my 300 rum @ 100 yards that's a lazered 100 yrds I'm good to 300, then I go to my dell past that :)

Bigbuck

MudRunner2005

I zero at 200 yards and dial for everything past that.
I always zero mine at 300 that way I know from 0 to 300 is covered with no issues. My .257 Weatherby is zero'd at 300, and 7mm STW is zero'd at 100...fixing to be 300 in a few weeks.

MachV

I zero the 708 @ 100yards. The first mildot gets me to 300yards, the second mildot to 425yards and the third to 525 yards. This system works a lot better for me than PBR.

johnnyk

I zero all of my rifles at 300yds. From 0 to 350, I "play it by ear" and just hold under, dead on, or slightly over. Most bullets starting out with a muzzle velocity of 3000fps + don't drop much out to 350yds. From 350 on out I dial it in. JohnnyK.

sscoyote

I use many ballistic and rangefinding reticles for long-range shooting, and i never sacrifice point blank range to make a reticle an intuitive system (even hundred yd. intervals). I always calculate MPBR conservatively for no more than 3/4ths anticipated tgt. size. The reticle zeros are calcd. and tested usually at the optic's (2FP) highest power.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce