Mark 5HD Scopes for hunting

jacob_strass

Been looking at purchasing a Mark 5 scope, probably the 3.6-18x44, for a lighter-ish hunting set up. For those of you with a Mark 5, did you go illuminated reticle or not? Is it necessary? Also which reticle did you go with and would you recommend that reticle to others as well?

Thanks for any input!

I run a 3.6-18 with a Tremor3, non illuminated. Some of the lower powers would be nice illuminated. However, i dont know if I'd like that particular reticle illuminated. Overall I don't see illumination being a must. But realistically its a 5/6-18 optic. Overall I love them. I've owned two and still run one. Only reason I sold my other was to help a rifle sale go through.Track great and they can take abuse.

I use the non-illuminated reticle on both my 3.8-18 as well as my 5-25. I've never used the illumination while hunting, although I can appreciated the application. PR1-MOA for me. I prefer first focal plane and MOA.

I run a Tremor 3 illuminated on a NF… there's a very small window of light where I actually used the illumination, but it was nice during those few minutes. Glass on my buddy's Mark 5 is fantastic

Non-illuminated. Illumination is not needed and the upcharge is steep. PR-1 Mil reticle on mine, I like it for simplicity yet very functional for hunting.

pr1-moa Glass is significantly better than my NX-8. Going to sell it and switch to Mark 5. At 1000 yards the Mark 5 7-35 I can just about see my 338 bullet holes in perfect conditions.

I have 2 Mark 5 hds 1 3.6-18 and the other 5-25. I would recommend reticles other than the Tremor. Illumination is nice but I often bump it on by accident and run the battery out. Nice thing about the TMR illuminated is the center aiming dot. I would get a PR2 if not illuminated.

I have a tremor non illuminated. Like it a lot, nice size for the rifle it's on and weight is acceptable for this type of scope with a 35mm tube. Glass is spot on. Only get a Tremor if you plan on using the reticle for hold over and windage hold otherwise it's not necessary. I also got the Tremor here in the classifieds from a member that was selling at a "almost to good to be true price". I was just lucky to get it for this price $1500 with rings. Mounted on my 7WSM.

I have a Mark 5 HD 3.6-18 Illuminated TMR FFP MIL. I've only hunted in GA so far in planted tall pines. I generally stalk at 5 power out to 300 yrds. There have been a number of low low light (always within legal clocks) but I'v never had to use the illumination. The glass on this scope with its low light system is quite capable.

Last edited:
I run MK5 3.6-18 TMR illuminated on all my hunting rifles. It's the perfect combination for me and my 50 year old eyes. The TMR reticle is heavier in the illuminated models and I really like that. The illumination system is the best I've used and does come in handy against a dark background. Take a look at the Leupold speed dial too, the big numbers are visible until it's almost dark.

Food for thought. Before decide on illumination be aware of where you hunt because not all states are legal to hunting with one. Idaho for example, it is illegal to hunt with illuminated scope so make sure you don't have a battery in it if you do.

I have both a 5-25 and 7-35 mark5HD. I shot a doe at 640 yards last year with my 300 PRC. Illumination will definitely extend your hunting time a little bit in the last moments of light in the evening or the beginning of light in the morning. My reticle disappears into the dark tree line.