hunting knobs vs target knobs on scopes for long range hunting.

Brutus24

Hello this is the first time I have ever posted anything. I am looking for a scope that i can soot anywhere from 100yards out to 1000 yards but am not sure what would be better to have. Hunting knobs that you sight in set and forget. Or target knobs that you adjust on the fly. I dont have a lot of money to spend on a scope. The two scopes that i am looking at is the Burris fullfield e1 and fullfield 2, 4.5-14x42. Any info would be great Im new to long range hunting and looking forward to any knowledge i can get. Thanks.

Hello this is the first time I have ever posted anything. I am looking for a scope that i can soot anywhere from 100yards out to 1000 yards but am not sure what would be better to have. Hunting knobs that you sight in set and forget. Or target knobs that you adjust on the fly. I dont have a lot of money to spend on a scope. The two scopes that i am looking at is the Burris fullfield e1 and fullfield 2, 4.5-14x42. Any info would be great Im new to long range hunting and looking forward to any knowledge i can get. Thanks.

I'm not that familiar with Burris' offerings but with Leupold you could go the route of a lower profile custom dial set (CDS) and have it built around whatever load you decide to shoot. I would imagine that Burris has some comparable offerings. If you want to hunt/shoot out to 1000yds you're going to have to learn to use dials to achieve any consistent accuracy. Trying to hold over with your reticle, IMO, is not nearly as consistent or accurate as dialing up your distance. Personally, I prefer a cleaner look (reticle-wise) over hash marks everywhere. It's so much easier to have more traditional crosshairs, range the target and dial the distance. If you're shooting LR you should have the time and you don't have to worry about movement.

There are plenty of guys that love those complicated reticle sand can use them effectively and quickly; but thats not me.

Good luck choosing your scope! I think it's a harder choice than the rifle but it's just as important! Don't skimp on glass!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Thank you for the info. So to shoot that far adjustable nobs would be better. I love Leupold but dont have that kind of money. Merry Christmas!

Primary Arms 4-14 mil-dot.

Curious , what is your scope budget? Little more info on what you are looking for.

Would like to stay around 300 I know most lr scopes are 650+ but I can't afford that rite now. I would be using these scopes on a 300 win and a 300 wsm. Thanks for the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.