Long Range Target/Hunting Rifle

DAK

Hello everyone, I am currently in the market for a new 30 cal. rifle. The purpose of the rifle will mainly be long range target shooting and future hunting trips out west. Currently i have narrowed it down to the Remington 700 XCR II and the Savage 11/111FCNS both in 300 WIN MAG. Looking for any advice, recommendations, comparisons etc... of these two rifles. Thanks for you help in advance.

Either rifle will work, you need to pick up, shoulder and site each one and see which one fits you the best. If given a chance shoot both rifles and see which one is your favorite. :)gun)

ideally 800-1000 yds. At 100 yds i would like to keep groups to .5 inch. budget is $1500-$2000. Do you have any other recommendations?

Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker topped with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 will run you about $1,600 and is capable of your accuracy goal, or better. Personally, I would opt for 7mm Remington.

remington 5-r, and sendero.

This.

This would be a good starting place. IME, once you get to the ranges you want to shoot at it is much more challenging to shoot a sporter weight rifle accurately. These two rifles are going to have better stocks and heavier barrels. The extra few pounds will make it easier to hold the rifle steady and a better stock and heavier barrel contour will ad rigidity.
I would also second the 7 mag, standard Remington variety shooting 180 gr Berger bullets. All the power you need and less recoil.

You can do a Sendero topped with a Viper HS-T 6-24x50 for $1600ish or step it up to a FFP PST for $2000. Either way would be an awesome rig. If you went with the HS-T you could have the rifle accurized without busting your budget by too much.

You can do a Sendero topped with a Viper HS-T 6-24x50 for $1600ish or step it up to a FFP PST for $2000. Either way would be an awesome rig. If you went with the HS-T you could have the rifle accurized without busting your budget by too much.
I agree with your suggestions...However, the HS-T 6-24x50 hasn't even been released yet...They're not anticipating until mid-summer, according to the guy @ SWFA. I asked because I was gonna pre-order one yesteray if it was only gonna be a couple weeks, or a month. I'm not waiting 5 months for a scope on backorder.

Depending on whichever one comes out first, I will either be buying a Nightforce SHV MOAR, or a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.