Mark 5hd moa illuminated or not

I would sure want to get my hands on it and look through it before making a decision, not all FFP scopes & reticles are the same. Even the same scope with different reticles, or the same reticle in a different scope. The MK5 reticle I'm running (grid style) is practically unusable at the lowest power except in the best of conditions.

All my scopes are illuminated and I've never had to turn one on to make a shot while hunting. But I look at it like 4WD in a truck. I will drive around in 2WD all the time and avoid places where I need 4WD. But it's there in case I end up in a situation I can't avoid. Where I've almost turned on the illumination is not in early morning or late evening but middle of the day looking into shadows in the trees. I couldn't see my reticle, fortunately the deer turned out to not be big enough to shoot anyhow. My one FFP scope when it's set on the lowest power is pretty unusable unless it's low light and I turn on the illumination. Can't see it otherwise. YMMV.

One thing to pay attention to is checking the subtensions really close! I was in the same boat a month ago with the 3.6-18. I opted for the illumination because it was ffp and I planned on using it in dark timber and was worried that on low power I would not be able to see the reticle up close. What I didnt pay attention to was the subtension difference of the same reticle between the illuminated and non illuminated. The illuminated models on the mark 5 hd is twice at thick and shows up very easier even without illumination. The illuminated model line thickness is .3 whereas the non is .15 which is much more useable for long range precision....
Pick your poison. I love both my mark 5's
I wish I'd known this prior to my purchase, my 3.6-18x44 is super heavy as it's illuminated. My 5-25 is not and I find the pr1-moa reticle to be about perfect in that scope.

I will say though that I do use the electronic level in my VX6 HD. That thing is pretty darn handy when taking a long range shot. Normally I install a level of some sort on all my rifles but with this scope I didnt have to.
I bought a used VX6HD off a member on here. Scope didn't come with a owners manual. How do you turn on the electronic level?

Good thread and it's interesting the overwhelming majority say they don't use illumination. I just about always turn on my illumination as it gets to last shooting light but now you all have me wondering if it's really necessary ... guess I'll have to leave it off next time and see what I think. I'm looking at picking up a Mark 5 Tremor 3 and it would save me a chunk to not get the illumination.

I bought a used VX6HD off a member on here. Scope didn't come with a owners manual. How do you turn on the electronic level?

Hold the illum button until the reticle flashes three times in quick succession. It will be around 20 seconds of holding the button. When you see the three flashes release the button. The electronic level is now active when the illumination is turned on. You turn it off the same way.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.