Illuminted Reticle or Not?

texas270

With respect to long range shooting, does an illuminated reticle tend help performance, hurt it, or is it neutral, assuming use of a ballistic turret to preset everything, so always use the centerpoint of the crosshairs. been told that with the AR platform illuminated reticles, you don't have to worry about getting your scope "picture" perfect, that the scope holds the illuminated point just right even if your sight picture is not consistent...(?) thanks for input.

Well, contrary to some popular misunderstandings, the illuminated reticle doesn't light up your target or make it easier to hunt in low light conditions. It simply improves the contrast between your target and the reticle markings. That improved contrast may make it slightly easier to make out your target in low light conditions but that's only because target/reticle contrast tends to become more of a problem in low light conditions. You can demonstrate that yourself by lining up the cross hairs on an elk in deep shade or a black bear in a similar environment.

IMO, there are some advantages to an illuminated reticle for the reasons outlined above. It's more a matter of personal choice, depending on when and where you hunt, than anything else. gun)

... you don't have to worry about getting your scope "picture" perfect, that the scope holds the illuminated point just right even if your sight picture is not consistent...(?)

I'm not sure what that means but if I interpret it correctly it says that sight picture consistency isn't important because of some magical quality of the illuminated reticle.
That's what I'd expect from my pre-school grandchildren trying to explain why Rice Krispies snap, krackle and pop. :rolleyes:

It's a nice option to have and most of my scopes are illuminated. To this date, I have never needed to use it on any of my shots. While experimenting with it one evening (looking at elk while deer hunting) I learned that it can quickly wash out every detail in the scope unless on the lowest setting. My take on it is: if you afford the extra bills then get it. I would rather have it and not need it than well.....you get it.

been told that with the AR platform illuminated reticles, you don't have to worry about getting your scope "picture" perfect, that the scope holds the illuminated point just right even if your sight picture is not consistent...(?) thanks for input.

Reading this makes me think the OP is referring to a red dot scope and not having to have the dot centered in the optic but rather just on target to make a hit. If so this has nothing to do with magnified optics with an illuminated reticle and is not a precise way to aim but rather a method of putting rounds on a close target quickly.

Oh....that's a whole other kettle of fish. The holographic and red dot sights work great for quick target acquisition. They are not very useful in long range precision work. But up close and personal - they are great. I have an Eotech on my M4. No parallax problem to worry about. I keep both eyes open and let that red dot float out in front of me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.