Illuminted reticle or not?

texas270

Do they make a significant difference? worth paying more for? is the main purpose for assisting in low light conditions? thanks in advance for feedback.

I wouldn't pay extra for it. If the scope model only comes with it so be it. But It seems to affect my night vision even on lowest setting at twilight. I find it seems to add extra bulk to scope like I want another turret to get in my way. IMHO

Gene R

I agree with Gene. I've never been in a situation where I felt I needed an illuminated reticle and I wouldn't spend the extra money for one. If the scope doesn't come without it - well, then I'd probably accept it but I'd have to want that scope pretty badly.

You're going to get a lot of mixed reviews on this. I prefer to have illumination. It's better to have it and never need it than need it and never have it. I use the illumination on my scopes quite a bit. I also do a lot of coyote hunting in the middle of the night without night vision. I find the illumination really helps me at those times. I've also had times when I've used it on my deer rifle in the very early morning and right before dark. Some people are going to tell you it doesn't do any good at all, but for me, I find it very useful. I suppose it all comes down to what you're going to be using the rifle for.

I have some IR scopes. Seldom use it but when I need it nice to have.

I shot a griz last fall I could see enough to make the shot but I couldn't see the cross hairs. Turned on the reticle and one dead griz about 50 yards from our camp, I love it.

Gus

On those early mornings... and evenings... I've found there are times when it comes in handy. I'm not sure I'd throw down $200 extra for it, but if you are choosing between two good scopes... with like features... and one has it for an extra $100... I'd definitely take it. Black on black shooting is challenging sometimes and with 10 different brightness settings.... it won't blind you if you go lower... but it will allow you to know exactly where your crosshairs are when you have a very dark background. I have both and prefer illuminated (in a decent scope). Less expensive scopes... I'd rather invest the money in better glass.

As most have indicated, this is a money question. If you can afford it - get it.

It's like the argument for high quality glass: you don't really need it as most shots are taken during daylight with good visibility. But just wait for that one hunt where it is the last day of a seven day hunt that took you ten years to draw when that huge trophy bull finally steps out in failing light at the edge of a meadow 600 yds away. What would you be willing to pay at that moment for better glass or illuminated reticle? If you're not a trophy hunter, it's no big deal.

But seeing how I am a trophy hunter and the unluckiest guy I know, I have illumination on most of my scopes. For some reason, these types of situations seem to follow me around wherever I go.

... just wait for that one hunt where it is the last day of a seven day hunt that took you ten years to draw when that huge trophy bull finally steps out in failing light at the edge of a meadow 600 yds away. What would you be willing to pay at that moment for better glass or illuminated reticle?

You make an excellent point. Perhaps my view is born of the fact that my luck has been better.

Last edited:
I believe it is worth it to have IR. I do have one and no, I do not turn it on every time I go hunting.

One time, the sunset was low, the trees and anything in the background were becoming darker. You simply turn it on. Worth my time and price.

If you plan to KEEP the scope for a long time then get IR.

Man... I hate to sound disagreeable, but on this one... I will be. Lots of great glass out there, even in top tier scopes, that forgoe IR.

In my opinion most better scopes come with IR because I love mine and would never buy another scope without it! I've only used it a few times in hunting situations, but in shooting steel I use it a lot. I believe it's just another tool in the tool bag that makes your shooter life easier.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.