Illuminted reticle or not?

A lot depends on where you hunt and the legal shooting times. I live in the southeast where our shooting time for deer is one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Needless to say I use my quite often. Love my Nightforce!

Well for me if it is reasonable,I will always have at least one of these scopes in my arsenal.It made the difference on an 11 pt whitetail on the last 1/2 hr of season one yr.He was against the woodline and I was in a treestand with a snow covered field.Brought the gun up seen the deer but could not see the reticle.Flipped on the old bushnell red dot on the 3x9 and the buck was mine.

I have a Trijiccon TR23 that I love. The illuminated dot in the center is adjustable and perfect in low light shots. If your going to be shooting mostly at the range or just target shooting you'll probably never really use it. But that dot makes it real easy to see exactly where your aiming on the animal in low light situations. Works great for coyotes.

I don't have it on all my scopes but as already said nice to have it when you need it.
I have passed up shots on deer as the light is fading in dark woodland due to only have a head/neck shot on and not being able to see the cross hair.
On my Kahles I have a very fine reticle so on low mag close up shots the IR is perfect.
If you have a bold reticle you can get away without in 99℅ of situations.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.