M1A and 6.5 CM fans ...

Oh Jesus the anti AR fans and Anti every other caliber fans will unite!

Thank god I built that bomb shelter.
I'm not anti-AR, I have quite a few of them, but I just think an M1A in 6.5CM is dumb. I guess not from a PR standpoint, when sales have gone stale, but I guess if you MUST play into the fantasy, then why not? This is about as bad a PR stunt as SA and RRA's IFMA donations...

I just think an M1A in 6.5CM is dumb.

"I" see nothing dumb about the combination but I am not an expert or in a position to criticize their business strategy especially when the bottom-line numbers (profit margins) are favorable. I am just glad we have another choice. The great thing about the US is that we still have the freedom of choice, what we do with them is entirely up to us. Yes, we are still "entitled" to an opinion. :cool:

Not too long ago, the naysayers thought Jeff Bezos and Frederick Smith's business ideas were dumb, just look at Amazon and FEDEX today.

Last edited:
We have a Krieger barreled dpms that will rival a bolt gun to 600yds in our shop. We had a regular come in and after 10 minutes he bought it after we said we had a 5r 6.5 barrel downstairs in the tool room. It will be a 6.5 Creedmoor when it leaves next week!

I'm not anti-AR, I have quite a few of them, but I just think an M1A in 6.5CM is dumb. I guess not from a PR standpoint, when sales have gone stale, but I guess if you MUST play into the fantasy, then why not? This is about as bad a PR stunt as SA and RRA's IFMA donations...

That wasn't directed at you mud runner. General comment.

dpms that will rival a bolt gun to 600yds
i don't want to start an argument with you. If you want to argue, argue with physics.

We occasionally get this comment. This particular DPMS may shoot well but "rival a bolt gun" is just not true. Period. It's a physics thing. You can argue with physics all you want but physics will always win.

So please don't argue with me argue with physics.

IMO: There is nothing wrong with an M1A in 6.5CM.
IMO: There is nothing wrong with an AR-10 type in 6.5CM

Now if you said you had taken a M1 Garand and converted it to 6.5CM, that would be true blasphemy.

"I" see nothing dumb about the combination but I am not an expert or in a position to criticize their business strategy especially when the bottom-line numbers (profit margins) are favorable. I am just glad we have another choice. The great thing about the US is that we still have the freedom of choice, what we do with them is entirely up to us. Yes, we are still "entitled" to an opinion. :cool:

Not too long ago, the naysayers thought Jeff Bezos and Frederick Smith's business ideas were dumb, just look at Amazon and FEDEX today.
You're right, I worded that poorly, it's not necessary "dumb" but it's like I said, I guess if they must play into the fantasy to boost stagnant sales numbers (which, from how proud they are of their rifles, $$$$$, that's not a surprising issue for them to have), I just don't know how positive of a move it will be. Their prices are already high as hell, and you spend all the money on retooling and on 6.5 barrel blanks, etc... And then after the initial "cool" factor wears off, and everyone who has $2,000+ for a rifle has already bought one, sales will fall flat again, and then the next best thing comes out in 6.5CM and everyone is off buying one of those now because it's more affordable.

Now if you said you had taken a M1 Garand and converted it to 6.5CM, that would be true blasphemy.
Not to defend what they've done, but that's exactly what they did to create the M1A. Stuff a bridge-block in there and a few other things, shorten the barrel, change up some cosmetics, and VOILA! a .308 M1 Garand.

i don't want to start an argument with you. If you want to argue, argue with physics.

We occasionally get this comment. This particular DPMS may shoot well but "rival a bolt gun" is just not true. Period. It's a physics thing. You can argue with physics all you want but physics will always win.

So please don't argue with me argue with physics.

IMO: There is nothing wrong with an M1A in 6.5CM.
IMO: There is nothing wrong with an AR-10 type in 6.5CM

1/2moa to 200yds and .8moa to 600yds is what it shoots currently as a .308

You're right, I worded that poorly, it's not necessary "dumb" but it's like I said, I guess if they must play into the fantasy to boost stagnant sales numbers (which, from how proud they are of their rifles, $$$$$, that's not a surprising issue for them to have), I just don't know how positive of a move it will be. Their prices are already high as hell, and you spend all the money on retooling and on 6.5 barrel blanks, etc... And then after the initial "cool" factor wears off, and everyone who has $2,000+ for a rifle has already bought one, sales will fall flat again, and then the next best thing comes out in 6.5CM and everyone is off buying one of those now because it's more affordable.
They have a .22 version that msrp is over $1500.00. We have one in the shop on display. That's a lot of cabbage for a .22

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.