M1A and 6.5 CM fans ...

.308 M1 Garand
Yes sir. I have an SAIC rebarreled M1 Garand that was chambered in 308 for the Navy Marksmanship team. As I understand it, the Navy didn't like them and passed them to the Coast Guard.

I believe it is a 1941 rifle. It is has a forged trigger guard rather than the later stamped one. Easy to check based on the S/N but it's in the very crowded safe.

shoots very well as a 308.

1/2moa to 200yds and .8moa to 600yds is what it shoots currently as a .308
That is a fine shooting DPMS. Will it shoot that well as a 6.5CM, I hope it does. Your customer will find out. I'm sure he will be happy.

BTW: Out of the box Savage 12 is .5MOA at 600 yards and .8MOA at 1000 yards. Like I said. Physics is physics.

Yes sir. I have an SAIC rebarreled M1 Garand that was chambered in 308 for the Navy Marksmanship team. As I understand it, the Navy didn't like them and passed them to the Coast Guard.

I believe it is a 1941 rifle. It is has a forged trigger guard rather than the later stamped one. Easy to check based on the S/N but it's in the very crowded safe.

shoots very well as a 308.
Yep, I've seen a few of those old M1 Garands that were modded with the bridge-block setup to only allow for .308 Win length cartridges to fit. That's cool that you have one, those are pretty collectible. Like you said, they were pre-M1A/M14, and like I was saying (which I did a horrible job of, after re-reading it), that's where they got the design idea for the lighter and shorter M1A/M14 from when they were looking to replace the .30-06 Sprg cartridge for something just as potent, but lighter and shorter. Scaled the action down to size, chopped the barrel and gas system, redesigned the furniture, stuck an elongated A2 birdcage on it, and there it was in all it's glory....The M1A/M14. ;)

That is a fine shooting DPMS. Will it shoot that well as a 6.5CM, I hope it does. Your customer will find out. I'm sure he will be happy.

BTW: Out of the box Savage 12 is .5MOA at 600 yards and .8MOA at 1000 yards. Like I said. Physics is physics.
I understand what you were saying. This is a very good shooter for what it is.The model 10 i have so far with out fireformed brass has been sub .5moa to 700 so far.

They need to make an M1A in .300 Blackout! Also, it's not sacrilege because it's still technically 7.62.

:D:);)

They need to make an M1A in .300 Blackout! Also, it's not sacrilege because it's still technically 7.62.

:D:);)
I love the .300BLK cartridge, but that's still falling along the same lines of saying the 6.5CM isn't sacrilege because it's based on the .308 Win case... It's all in how it's justified to the consumer. I think the M1A 6.5CM will be a big seller for SA, as they don't have particularly high rifle sales numbers because of their high prices, but I think overall it will be a flop. In other words, I think the hype will die very quickly once those who have the means to go buy a $2,100 range toy at the drop of a hat, have already bought theirs...Then it's going to take a cliff-dive. Not many folks are going to buy a semi-auto 6.5CM for $2,100, when they can build an AR-10 or go buy a more accurate factory bolt gun for a lot less.

I mean, sure it's great that the CM shooters have another option (I wish the industry would treat the rest of the cartridges this special), but at the same time, it's just a fairly dumb option, IMO. I guess the M1A is about the final frontier for the CM... They've successfully whored it out in every other type of weapon system, so, I guess for the industry its more of going full-circle.

It's all in how it's justified to the consumer.

It's the consumer (needs vs. wants, and budget etc.) that has to justify their purchase(s) not the service/product provider. "IF" I have to justify my firearms inventory in terms of wants vs need, I would be a big failure ... and I suspect most of us are in the same situation but we live with it and move on ... and keeps building that inventory even when the budget/purchasing ability is unwarranted. :D

Life is all about choices, what you do with them is entirely up to you, justified or not.

Last edited:
It's the consumer (needs vs. wants, and budget etc.) that has to justify their purchase(s) not the service/product provider. "IF" I have to justify my firearms inventory in terms of wants vs need, I would be a big failure ... and I suspect most of us are in the same situation but we live with it and move on ... and keeps building that inventory even when the budget/purchasing ability is unwarranted. :D

Life is all about choices, what you do with them is entirely up to you, justified or not.
Don't take things out of context... I'm not talking about whether or not people should justify owning one or justify their purchase. Because I agree with you on the fact that my gun collection would be pretty **** bland if I had to justify every rifle & cartridge I own. We would all only be allowed to own 1 handgun, 1 .22 rifle, 1 centerfire, and 1 shotgun.

I'm talking about the people wanting this rifle built in this cartridge, justifying why they don't think that it's blasphemy, to the people who think it's blasphemy for an M1A to be anything other than .308 Winchester.

Don't take things out of context... I'm not talking about whether or not people should justify owning one or justify their purchase. Because I agree with you on the fact that my gun collection would be pretty **** bland if I had to justify every rifle & cartridge I own. We would all only be allowed to own 1 handgun, 1 .22 rifle, 1 centerfire, and 1 shotgun.

I'm talking about the people wanting this rifle built in this cartridge, justifying why they don't think that it's blasphemy, to the people who think it's blasphemy for an M1A to be anything other than .308 Winchester.

My first and last sentence applies to any purchase and to all of us, regardless of what one thinks.

From a manufacturer's standpoint, they also have to weigh the options, regardless of the buzz in the current consumer market. That's why some manufacturers jump on bandwagons and some don't. With any new product there is the potential for failure and losing your *** in an attempt to corner a small piece of that hype money. All of these big companies have to weigh all options, estimate projected sales figures, overhead, production costs, retooling, etc... So, both parties have to justify it. But as a consumer our only real justification is "because I want it". And that's why America is great.

I'm not anti-AR, I have quite a few of them, but I just think an M1A in 6.5CM is dumb. I guess not from a PR standpoint, when sales have gone stale, but I guess if you MUST play into the fantasy, then why not? This is about as bad a PR stunt as SA and RRA's IFMA donations...
I don't know. Seems like hitting what your aiming at, fast and often, is a decent combination.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts