Lrkm

TheFishBox

I am wanting to get an lrkm for shooting some extended distances 1000+ for the most part but definetly going to bust some rocks and steel in the 2000 yard range. My hunting range would probably be 1000 yards for elk at the max. What my question is would you guys go with 338 terminator or 375 terminator? I am thinking since the 375 is going to fit in the same platform as the 338 and it will give you a bit more energy at distance along with wind bucking ability I should go that way, but is it worth the increased powder use and bullet cost? Also are the gains of going with the 375 going to show themselves at 1500 to 2000 yards or do you really need to stretch it out to see the gain.

I am going to run the numbers myself but wanted to see what you guys think.

I'd go .375 with or without the numbers.

Mostly I just like .375's but I do believe it should last a few more rounds, more attention being paid to bullets in .375, and I'd get a fast enough twist to accommodate the longer, heavier bullets likely to come out.

You can't go wrong either way.

I'd go .375 with or without the numbers.

Mostly I just like .375's but I do believe it should last a few more rounds, more attention being paid to bullets in .375, and I'd get a fast enough twist to accommodate the longer, heavier bullets likely to come out.

You can't go wrong either way.

I am on a bit of a .375 kick as well, that having escalated from .338's. I have dropped a good sized bull elk at a little over 1000 yards with a .338 Edge so I agree that either choice will be great. The question of cost for performance increase is gonna be a shooter specific one. I say yes! :D
Harper:
Do you think a .375 with over 190 grain water capacity (.375 Terminator) will have better barrel life than a .338 Lapua Improved (.338 Terminator)? I read a post by Mitchell Fitzpatrick saying to expect something like 600 rounds from his Lethal Magnum (190-ish grains of water capacity, similar to the new Terminator).

......Harper:Do you think a .375 with over 190 grain water capacity (.375 Terminator) will have better barrel life than a .338 Lapua Improved (.338 Terminator)? I read a post by Mitchell Fitzpatrick saying to expect something like 600 rounds from his Lethal Magnum (190-ish grains of water capacity, similar to the new Terminator).

Maybe I'm off track-if they are the same case capacity I would expect slightly better barrel life from the larger bore. If not then I am mistaken.

My "preference" for the .375 bore would remain regardless if it had worse barrel life.

If I get a couple of other projects through (a couple of years out). My plan would be to neck down the 50-140 (basic) to .375. It gives 156 grain H20 to the case mouth, should yield about 140 grains useful space.

Action would be the large Falling Block Works, Hagn, or an oversized Hi-Wall (one of a kind I have located). The LRKM is much more sensible either way.

Not trying to hijack this thread, just adding to my initial post to make sure OP knows .375 is one of my quirks. My 2 cents should be interpreted that way.

I am on a bigger is better trend as well.

.375 is in progress.

.416 is in the planning stages.

Don't want a .408 Cheytac. I want something bigger with longer reach.

That is one of the most ballistically superior shoulder-fired weapon cartridges available... It even beats the .50 BMG...

Next step is a 20mm, but then you move up into artillery and NFA and Class III.

That is one of the most ballistically superior shoulder-fired weapon cartridges available... It even beats the .50 BMG...

Next step is a 20mm, but then you move up into artillery and NFA and Class III.

Hello,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 408CT has not been on the "ballistically superior" podium since about 2003 when the 375 No Name came about..commonly referred to as the 375CT these days but CT had nothing to do with the design and/or testing of the 375 No Name aka 375CT.

Also there are lots of options in between Cheytac case and going to 20mm case :)

THEIS

Hello,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 408CT has not been on the "ballistically superior" podium since about 2003 when the 375 No Name came about..commonly referred to as the 375CT these days but CT had nothing to do with the design and/or testing of the 375 No Name aka 375CT.

Also there are lots of options in between Cheytac case and going to 20mm case :)

THEIS
To "better" where we are going with the current trend, you would need to go with something based on the 55 Boys, 60 Machine Gun or 14.5x114 Russian. Necked down of course to comply with NFA. $9 or more per brass is not so much fun.

For the Boys there would be the problem of finding .350 OD primers. The Russian can be machined for .315 BMG style. The 60 MG is already .315 BMG style.

Hello,

THEIS

I'm about 99% sure Cheyenne Tactical (CT, or CheyTac) created the .375 version of their .408 CheyTac cartridge... They sell ammo for it under the name .375 CheyTac... Although I'm sure others have similar wildcat designs out there, but CheyTac wouldn't be able to use their name on the cartridge, had they not been the ones to get it copyrighted and registered with SAAMI.

CheyTac® Loaded Match Grade Ammunition - CheyTac USA, LLCCheyTac USA, LLC

Create a Wish List - MidwayUSA

$57 for 20 new Bertram cases is cheaper than my Nosler STW brass when it's not on sale...

And yes, I know there's more options, like Fred stated. Also, "with the current trend" of everyone having to have bigger and bigger and bigger, you might as well just cut to the chase and start elk hunting with a 105mm Howitzer. Animals are not that hard to kill with 1 well-placed shot. We killed them for thousands of years with pointy sticks and rocks, and then muzzleloaders (as weak as they were back then), and then BP centerfires (which were also not super powerful compared to smokeless cartridges).

Some disagree, and some agree with me, but it is getting a bit ridiculous. But that is simply my opinion, and nobody else has to agree with it, it's just the trend that I see happening.

I'm done derailing this guy's thread. Sorry OP.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts