Lrkm

Whoa whoa guys real it back in. I am wanting to keep the rifle in the sub 16 pound range so leave the howitzer out of it.:D

I have looked at the other 375 options and it seems as though we are getting into the non portable realm. I plan on packing this rifle around the mountains so 16 pounds is going to be max I want to build. I already pack a 13 pound 338 lapua around.

So I ran some numbers and want to see what you guys think.
For 375 terminator I went with 375 grain cutting edge at 3200 and for 338 terminator I went 300 grain berger at 3150.

At 1000 yards I get 17.8 up and 3.2 moa wind with 4121 ft/lbs for 375 terminator

At 1000 yards I get 19.2 up and 3.7 moa wind with 2865 ft/lbs for 338 terminator

So a 1.4 moa drop and .5 moa wind advantage to the 375 with 1256 ft/lbs advantage.

At 2000 yards I get 53.4 up and 7.7 moa wind with 1780 ft/lbs for 375 terminator.

At 2000 yards I get 61.4 up and 9.7 moa wind with 1003 ft/lbs for 338 terminator.
So again a 8 moa drop and 2 moa wind advantage with about 780 ft/lbs advantage.

What does all this mumbo jumbo translate to I don't know and hope you guys can tell me. :rolleyes: I am thinking if I shoot my 6br at about 930 yards against my 338 lapua at 1000 I will have a comparison of going from my 338 to 375. Not direct I know but will be about the same performance advantage.

The air is getting pretty thin at 2000yds. Not many will have the experience at that yardage for purposes of providing informed opinion/recommendation.

Yeah I figured as much. I'm only asking cause I don't have much experience myself but would like to step into that realm. I am hoping to get more input on the 1000 yard advantage seeing as my "hunting" distance is going to be more in that zone and the 2000 is going to be more for fun.

I'm about 99% sure Cheyenne Tactical (CT, or CheyTac) created the .375 version of their .408 CheyTac cartridge... They sell ammo for it under the name .375 CheyTac... Although I'm sure others have similar wildcat designs out there, but CheyTac wouldn't be able to use their name on the cartridge, had they not been the ones to get it copyrighted and registered with SAAMI.

Hello,

Well I know for 100% they did not, heck even their website says Barney Lawton and Bruce Baer were the first they know of to actually neck the 408 down to 375 and make rifles for it. I was there when Barney made the first 3 for us.
CT website showcases a magazine article printed November 2006 about this new 375CT but we had already been shooting them for almost 2 years for Barney and Dean. I can produce forum post from July 2006 that list the 375/408 SOE protoype rifle being at a SOE training course. I know it was there because it was me with it.

Sorta like Steyr has the 460 Steyr registered and yada yada but they did not develop it either :)

To the OP:
Can Shawn get the 375 Terminator down into a 16lb system? That brass is bigger than the CT brass....

THEIS

Yeah I figured as much. I'm only asking cause I don't have much experience myself but would like to step into that realm. I am hoping to get more input on the 1000 yard advantage seeing as my "hunting" distance is going to be more in that zone and the 2000 is going to be more for fun.

Hello Fishbox..

Heck man, you could accomplish your hunting distance (Not sure what you hunting though lol) AND fun distance with smaller calibers than either of the Terminator cartridges...
For 1000 yard laser..I would build a 6.5 Lapua Magnum. 139gr Scenars at 3800fps and the new 121gr projectiles from Warner Tool would even beat those numbers :)
Run JBM on the 121gr Flatlines with G1 of .637 with MV of 3850 gun)

THEIS

My understanding is yes he is going to be able to make it in the 16 lb range. Again that is just my understanding, I think that he said that it could. But it could just be me day dreaming.

And yes, I know there's more options, like Fred stated. Also, "with the current trend" of everyone having to have bigger and bigger and bigger, you might as well just cut to the chase and start elk hunting with a 105mm Howitzer...

These big things are for stress relief not hunting. Hunting is a different kind of stress relief.

My understanding is yes he is going to be able to make it in the 16 lb range. Again that is just my understanding, I think that he said that it could. But it could just be me day dreaming.

Hello,

Well if your only criteria is 16 pound system and Shawn can get the 375 Terminator into a 16 pound system then I would vote go with 375 Terminator over the 338 Terminator.

Reason is...the 375 Terminator can "reach" everywhere the 338 Terminator can but the 338 Terminator can not "reach" everywhere the 375 Terminator can.

THEIS

The air is getting pretty thin at 2000yds. Not many will have the experience at that yardage for purposes of providing informed opinion/recommendation.

I'm not sure I have a place to shoot 2000 yards.

Occasionally I comment on a thread keeping it alive, waiting for those that know, show up and I learn something that applies to me.gun)

I could shoot at 2000 yds, but I wouldn't see what I was shooting at anyway.

Only purpose would be to satisfy curiosity. Guess I'm not that curious...

Fwiw, here it is right from the man himself...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170331-194354.png
    Screenshot_20170331-194354.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 87
Tagging in. My 338 terminator will be done in June. The nice thing about the LRKM platform is I'll be able to rebarrel to the 375 when it's time!

Corey

I'd love to see that picture of the Terminator next to the Lapua where was that.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.