Low recoil deer caliber

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
Of all the Bolt Guns I have, the 6 ARC has the least recoil and accurate with factory ammo. I reload for it and getting .3MOA at 100Yds with 101gr Hammer Hunter. Even better with 108gr ELDM. Will be using it for deer hunting this season. Got my barrel (24") from Mcgowan Precision Barrels and put on a 110 Savage action. My recipe is included.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230923_232921_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230923_232921_Gallery.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 24
I built a savage 6.8spc bolt gun for both my boys at age 7, both of them have killed several deer with them and they have solid knockdown

Many good recommendations here- you'll just have to sift through them and decide. However, I will add 2 points. First, make sure that the caliber is legal in your area for the game he'll be hunting- until just a couple years ago, .224 was not legal here in Wyoming for any big game- can now be used on deer and antelope. Second- muzzle brakes can be good, but I hate most of them on hunting rigs- most of my shots are taken prone, or over shooting sticks sitting or kneeling. Muzzle brakes often create muzzle- loader type clouds- dust, sage leaves and seeds, etc. which obscure your vision for a few seconds. I may practice with a brake, but take it off and check zero before hunting.

Not a suggestion for caliber but for the rifle. You didn't mention what your budget was, if you're going to build a rifle you may want to look into a quick change action like the Zeus and drop it into some type of chassis. As you kid grows the chassis can easily be adjusted and with the QC option on the action you can change calibers by just buying a pre-fit barrel, only tool that is needed is an Allen wrench.

These are not my pics. But I really don't think people have seen what modern bullets are capable of. Lots of recommendations for 7-08, 308 etc. There's zero reason a kid needs a 7mm or .30 cal to kill deer.

223 on elk, 360yds View attachment 508686

223 elk 800yds
View attachment 508687

Would be nice to know the particulars on that load!

I shot a 22/250 for a while on deer with 60g partitions in a 12 twist. Meat damage was on par with a 30/06 with 150g Hornadys.

Just be careful with the 7-08 on what weight rifle you put it in. I built an ultra light one for a kid to shoot and it had tremendous amount of recoil. But this was when brakes were frowned on. Brakes are a game changer.
He could handle my 25-06 but even though it was a light barreled A-bolt he could handle carrying it.
So I made put together a 256 win mag for him to use on a m1 carbine. The gas piston was stuck so I could load it hotter and made it legal for deer

Read it all. Have an open mind.

I used my .223 to kill a Mulie buck this year. One shot, DRT, 475 yards. 75 gr ELDM.

P