deer and shooting range caliber?

I still think a 6.5mm-284 Norma is the way to go. You should look at a Savage 16 Weather Warrior. It comes with the 1:8 twist barrel you'll need to stabilize the long 6.5 bullets. Very affordable and VERY accurate.

I would use Lapua brass and start out loading either the Barnes 127 grain LRX bullet or the Berger 140 grain hunting VLD.

I think a setup like that would fit exactly what you are looking for... a deadly accurate deer rifle that is also pleasant and fun to shoot at the range. Good luck, and keep us posted with what you decide!

I would use my Remington 6mm Rem if I'm only shooting to 500 yds. It's light weight Remington 700 BDL & was my first big game rifle & have shoot nemurious Antelope, Deer with it. I have also shot Coyotes with it. My Son used it to shoot his first Antelope. I bagged my Biggest Mule Deer with it. With Hornadys 100gr BTSP groups at 300 yds are under 2.25 inches. No recoil & like I have always said if you thinking .243 Win go a little better with a 6mm Rem. Good Hunting

Great advice! I had my heart set on a 7mm08 for the longest time. I can get the rifle I want the savage FCNS in 7mm08 for just over $800. I can get the same rifle at a bigger sporting good store regularly just over $600 it is on sale for about $500. It only comes in the common 30 06, 308, 270.... So I figured for the money saved on the rifle and ammo a 270 would be the way to go. I am thunking of getting a 270 now. I've never shot one before but that is my plan. If I put a limb saver on it Im thinking it should work and then I'll never have to worry about availability and be able to put money towards some top end glass.

When the last rush was on there wasn't any 270 components on the shelves up here anywhere. But I got boxes and boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor brass, loaded ammo and shelves stacked with 6.5 mm bullets. .

But the 270 is a great round. The mid velocity 6.5s are easier recoiling as would be the 7/08 the 250 Savage is another great round that tho its not heard of much is a pretty great round.
But the 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty much made to order for your needs.

When the last rush was on there wasn't any 270 components on the shelves up here anywhere. But I got boxes and boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor brass, loaded ammo and shelves stacked with 6.5 mm bullets. .

But the 270 is a great round. The mid velocity 6.5s are easier recoiling as would be the 7/08 the 250 Savage is another great round that tho its not heard of much is a pretty great round.
But the 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty much made to order for your needs.

Funny how it works, in my parts .270 is plentiful and 6.5 is non existent.

gragoose, congrat's:) theres really no bad choices when it comes to calibers,

after all its a learning curve ,now you'll see why JO'C (jack o'connor)

Championed the Great 270 WCF regards jjmp:D

At what distance would the 270 be effective at for deer?

My hunting friend said it's only good till 300 yards. I don't agree with that. I think it is easily a 500 yard gun. I've never personally hunted with one.

The 270 is a great cartridge and more than capable way past 500 yards. It really does everything you are wanting to do but the recoil can get quite snappy in a light rifle. For deer sized game to 500 and long range shooting my personal preference would be the 260 Remington. Light recoil with great ballistics and a lot of bullet choices. Brass can be easily made from any .308 based case in a pinch.

If your stuck on the .270 I would load that thing with some 130gr berger classic hunters and use that for everything. With a BC near 500 it provides good down range ballistics and great velocities.

I sure don't agree with your hunting friends , but I do agree with you gragoose,

many good bullets available ,start out with 130's try 140's even 150's as nice as

the new fangled bullets are their pricey and not always there to buy,i would use

cheaper bullets the choice is yours . many people get all caught up with the

newest gata- have components sure their very nice always needed not really,

more people make due because of cost's any way i'm in that group also, so buy

your choice caliber shoot it till it needs rebarreling and you'll know if you want something else in a different caliber. many persons make wrong choices and trade her off ,cause their just not happy. lots of sound advice here, if your still un desided take more time do more home work then jump in a choose , regards jjmp

Since you load, you can load for whatever recoil level you are comfortable with. Not every shot needs to be blazing. That is the great thing about handloading: tailoring your ammo to your needs. Start at the lighter end, if you're concerned about recoil. You may stay there, or you may move to full-throttle stuff.

I hear all kinds of bull about std cartridges like the 270 or 30-06 only being 300 yd hunters, but the reality is it depends on the bullet and the shooter. Pick a streamlined bullet and shoot it well, and you can at least double that 300yd effective range. At least.

At what distance would the 270 be effective at for deer?

My hunting friend said it's only good till 300 yards. I don't agree with that. I think it is easily a 500 yard gun. I've never personally hunted with one.

This is just me but my unwritten rule (just a guide but nice to live by) is enough energy at point of impact to humanely harvest the game, i.e., 1500 ft-lbs for elk and 1000 ft-lbs for deer and of course the minimum velocity your bullet will effective expand (i.e., 1800 FPS etc...)

For my rifle, it's 800 yards (1890 FPS; 1388 ft-lbs at POI) with 175 Matrix VLD out of a 30" 1:8 3-groove Lilja barrel.

IIWY, find out that magic number on your load/rifle and go from there.

As far as recoil, it's not for everybody but there are lots of effective muzzle brakes out in the market that will significantly reduce the felt recoil and muzzle rise. Recoil pads and good stock also improves it significantly.

Good luck! Happy safe reloading, shooting, and hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.