Low recoil deer caliber

Read it all. Have an open mind.

I used my .223 to kill a Mulie buck this year. One shot, DRT, 475 yards. 75 gr ELDM.

P
This guy gets it.

Too bad you can't do AR-15 actually. (Canada) Light, adjustable to fit, and come on--> anything from .223 to frickin' 50 Beowulf just by changing uppers!!

I used to hate them, but learned to love 'em. Very cool guns, as it turns out...

With an AR, if ranges were short to moderate, I would say 350 Legend possibly. But again, in a conventional rifle, I've got to say 30.06 loaded down. I still think it's the most versatile caliber ever.

Vettepilot

308 with 125s at 3000 are not light recoil either, I shoot this load. Shoot another load at 3200. Drop the velocity to 2200 with the 125s.

Some kids will take the recoil, some will not. It is not unusual for factory barrels to interchange on Rem 700s, thus the need for a switch barrel, 22/250, 243, 7/08, 308 all on the same action.

77g TMK in a 22/243 AI at 3500 has some potential.

I'd find a beater rifle for the stock and action and put an 8 or 9 twist, 6mm BR barrel on it and shoot 85-95 grain bullets. Then he can also shoot varmints and predators. He'd be ok out to 300 yards easily for deer.

Last edited:
My personal experience with the nosler 125 has been on a 30-30, close shots with very poor performance, both deer the bullets exploded on impact, with little to no penitration.

Read it all. Have an open mind.

I used my .223 to kill a Mulie buck this year. One shot, DRT, 475 yards. 75 gr ELDM.

From my experience, mule deer can probably be killed with a rubber band and a paper clip. But not at 475, nice! 😃

Too bad you can't do AR-15 actually. (Canada) Light, adjustable to fit, and come on--> anything from .223 to frickin' 50 Beowulf just by changing uppers!!

I used to hate them, but learned to love 'em. Very cool guns, as it turns out...

With an AR, if ranges were short to moderate, I would say 350 Legend possibly. But again, in a conventional rifle, I've got to say 30.06 loaded down. I still think it's the most versatile caliber ever.

Vettepilot
Thanks for saving me the time typing all of that out!
350 Legend, if expected shooting is within 200 yards-- AR for the adaptability.
.30-'06 because every North American should have one.

Recent Posts