Low recoil deer caliber

webitmuddy

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input

I've raised two hunters and taken many others on their first hunt. I really encourage suppressor use. My favorite low recoil rounds are 6.5 Grendel and 22 Creedmoor, killed many with 22-250 before the Creedmoor with heavier bullets came along. One thing that has helped more first time hunters than any other is let them dry fire, crosshairs on the game before you ever load the chamber.

I raised my kids using a Rem 700 ADL in 308 with reduced loads. When it came to shooting a cow elk it was with Federal fusion 180 gr. loads. Back then the rifles were readily available and affordable.
Now I believe the best affordable rifles that shoot well and are durable enough are the Ruger American rifles. I now shoot a couple of centerfire rifles for practice and they definitely are accurate rifles at sub MOA at 100 yards. The kids also shoot Ruger Americans at the 4H shoots which are just as accurate as the Anshchutz.

Last edited:
I've raised two hunters and taken many others on their first hunt. I really encourage suppressor use. My favorite low recoil rounds are 6.5 Grendel and 22 Creedmoor, killed many with 22-250 before the Creedmoor with heavier bullets came along. One thing that has helped more first time hunters than any other is let them dry fire, crosshairs on the game before you ever load the chamber.
I'm in Canada, suppressors are not a option

got my kids started with a cva scout, many caliber choices, single shot, break open action. great little gun for them to learn on, theirs is in 6.5 creed since i already had the components, but there's lots of options

I've loaded reduced loads in 270, 7mm08, 308, and 30-06 to very good effect. Just yesterday afternoon a young girl killed a nice 8 point with her 30-06 and one of my reduced loads. A 150 SST traveling at 2525fps. The shot was 85 yards. One thing you have to consider is if you go with a youth rifle they can be very light. Light rifles even in very moderate calibers tend to have a good bit of recoil.Just like a 5-5.5 pound 20 gauge, they kick.
My absolute favorite rifle for a kid is an AR in 6.5 Grendel. The adjustable stock can be fitted to pretty much anyone and it's a rifle you can continue to use your whole life. I've built several for kids and they have all been very successful with them. The Grendel is well mannered, light recoil, low muzzle blast, and easy to shoot. One benefit with the AR is should they miss the first shot many times the deer will just stand there. Often just long enough for a well placed second shot to do the job. In some cases Ive had to build another one because the parent decided they liked it so much they just had to have one too. There is something about this little caliber that causes it to punch way above its weight class. If you don't want one in an AR platform they are also made in bolt guns.
I'll likely raise some hackles with this next statement but I don't care much for 223 or 243 as a deer caliber For kids. At least in the thick woods and swamps where I live as tracking can be very difficult. I've seen far too many animals lost with both. Now both of these calibers will kill if put in the right place. But I'd rather put something a little more forgiving in a kids hands.

From the 6.5 Creedmoor to the 7-08 ,308 are great low recoil guns for kids . Since you can't run suppressors I'd put a break on them to really take down the recoil . It will make them loud but they do help on recoil. The preferred caliber here in Arizona for kids is the 7-08 . It's good for elk thru deer with bullets in the copper variety in the 120 to 140 gr weight.

I've loaded reduced loads in 270, 7mm08, 308, and 30-06 to very good effect. Just yesterday afternoon a young girl killed a nice 8 point with her 30-06 and one of my reduced loads. A 150 SST traveling at 2525fps. The shot was 85 yards. One thing you have to consider is if you go with a youth rifle they can be very light. Light rifles even in very moderate calibers tend to have a good bit of recoil.Just like a 5-5.5 pound 20 gauge, they kick.
My absolute favorite rifle for a kid is an AR in 6.5 Grendel. The adjustable stock can be fitted to pretty much anyone and it's a rifle you can continue to use your whole life. I've built several for kids and they have all been very successful with them. The Grendel is well mannered, light recoil, low muzzle blast, and easy to shoot. One benefit with the AR is should they miss the first shot many times the deer will just stand there. Often just long enough for a well placed second shot to do the job. In some cases Ive had to build another one because the parent decided they liked it so much they just had to have one too. There is something about this little caliber that causes it to punch way above its weight class. If you don't want one in an AR platform they are also made in bolt guns.
I'll likely raise some hackles with this next statement but I don't care much for 223 or 243 as a deer caliber For kids. At least in the thick woods and swamps where I live as tracking can be very difficult. I've seen far too many animals lost with both. Now both of these calibers will kill if put in the right place. But I'd rather put something a little more forgiving in a kids hands.
👆Good response above. Like the .223 and .243 statement.

Also have a 6.5 Grendel in AR . Weight of the rifle plus a brake or suppressor is hard to beat. Nephew took his first deer with it.

any of the rounds in the posts above 260, 7mm-08 can be loaded down or you used to be able to find reduced recoil factory loads. Brakes can help as does the Weight of a rifle.

Good luck.

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
6 arc!