Low recoil deer caliber

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy! I started both my sons (now 35 and 33) hunting at age 10 with a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. If you are not a reloader, go to your local gun store and see what is readily available and with the most choices on the shelf. Where I live, it is 6.5 CM, .308 Win, and .30-06.

It is not for everybody, but muzzle brakes are excellent in recoil and muzzle rise reduction.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
Just per your criteria I would go with the .243.

7mm 08

Break Action, single shot .243....7-08 or old faithful 30-30. NO Semi-Auto !!
I like Break Action...it allows the child to carry Their weapon and be "one of the hunters". I felt 10 foot tall my first hunt, carrying my own gun.. Unloaded, Broke down over my shoulder and ammo on a belt clip. After arriving at my blind, I loaded my Ole New Englander and "patiently" waited. I felt part of the hunt...not a baby setting on daddy's lap "driving the car". HA !

A lot of good cartridges are mentioned here. It all depends on your son's size, attitude, and recoil sensitivity. Do you reload? There are threads on reduced recoil loads and Hodgdon has guidelines using H4895 for some reduce recoil loads. Over at rokslide and Snipershide they have threads on taking big game with .223 or 5.56. RS favors the 77 gr TMK. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's a surprising option.

243 is what I have used for years, and it is definitely and short/long range deer caliber. My son has used a 243 as well and it is almost always a 1 shot kill, now our grandson is using a 243. My son reloads the Bergers for me, and it is perfect.

On the 223, the state we hunt in only allows 23 caliber and up...