top deer caliber

There are several calibers that are excellent deer calibers and over 40 I have probably tried just about all of them. I am almost exclusively a deer hunter and pretty much have settled in on the 6.5x 284. While most of my deer have been taken well under 500 yards, I have shot several between 500 and 1000yards. This caliber is easy to reload, low recoil, deadly accurate, and most importantly,one of the few calibers that just about all the deer I have shot drop in their tracks whether 50 yards or 998, my longest kill. I use 140 Bergers at 2970 FPS. The way I use the rifle, the barrel won't burn out in my lifetime. Just my preference.

Most of my shots are in the 200-450yd range, I like the 264 win mag with 140gr accubonds. It offers great accuracy and almost always exits even on tough shot angles. Plus the recoil is mild enough I shoot it well.

For most people who don't reload it's .243 Win. 25-06 Rem. 270 Win 7mm Rem Mag or 30-06 why Wal-Mart sells the shells as cheap as you can get... I my self use 6mm Rem or .264 Win. Mag since I reload if I did'nt it would be 25-06 or 7mm Rem Mag. This year it was 6mm Rem at a little under 200yds.

Attachments

• Stoy deer.jpg
    Stoy deer.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 128
There are almost too many great calibers for deer to mention. I own 3 deer rifles, a Marlin 30-30, Rem. 25-06 and a Browning 300 WM. I have hunting buddies that use 270's, 243's and even a 338 WM with great results. I've taken a couple of deer with my 300 WM and IMHO, it is a just a bit of an overkill unless you are shooting longer distances. My favorite caliber is my trusty old 25-06. Whether shooting 300+ yards or shorter distances, it gets the job done and done well. My next purchase will be a 358 Winchester in a Browning BLR. It will serve double duty as a mid-range (under 300 yards) deer gun and either a backup or primary elk gun. I will be hand loading for the 358. Hopefully, it will be my last gun I will need...until my next GAS attack.

I have an older Rem Model Seven in .308 w/18 1/2" bbl. I have some Barnes 168gr VLC BTHP's loaded with 43gr of Accurate 2230 chronod @ 2800 and have taken deer from 30yds in the thick brush to 275yds accross an open field and they all fall. It's topped by a Simmons Aetec 1.5-6X32 scope. Wish I had a little more scope in the open but it works well. Maybe the new Leupold VX-6 2-12X 40?
Bottom line is .308 or .338 Federal would be my choice. And a light rifle like the new 7 will run you about $550-600. Good luck.

I use 30 06 and its great. How is the barrel life on 300wm and 300wsm? I have been thinking about getting one.

I've been told to expect 1,200 to 1,500 rounds before accuracy will begin to degrade to questionable accuracy. For me, that is a lifetime with this rifle since I'm 61 yrs old only use it for hunting. I shoot no more than 30 or 40 rounds a year although I may shoot a few more this year since I'm working up a new load using 200gr Accubonds.

Iam up to 27 or so deer with my 300wsm and 150gr BST, NEVER had a deer take a step, totally drops em, Ive shot everyth:Ding from chucks to antelope, bear, Elk, Mule Deer with it, probably close to 1000 rounds between practice and its a Rem 700 Harvester from Hill Country Rifles, McMillan sporter stock, trigger job, Zeiss conqest..............really makes my custom guns obsolete

Iam up to 27 or so deer with my 300wsm and 150gr BST, NEVER had a deer take a step, totally drops em, Ive shot everyth:Ding from chucks to antelope, bear, Elk, Mule Deer with it, probably close to 1000 rounds between practice and its a Rem 700 Harvester from Hill Country Rifles, McMillan sporter stock, trigger job, Zeiss conqest..............really makes my custom guns obsolete

I get the feeling you, & I are long lost cousins somehow:D great signature too by the way!
Im a Huge fan of the 270, & 300 in most any chambering, especially in the WSM's! Not the biggest. Not the smallest, but they just always get the job done on anything a guy pulls the trigger on, from Deer, Elk, Bear, Coyote etc.
Maybe that's why I own a 270WSM, & I'm having a 300WSM built on my old long action Win Model-70, 30-06' I got as a boy. I love that rifle, & cartrige, & I killed my first everything with it, but the 300WSM just blows it out of the water as far as the LR game is concerned, & since that is where my passion is, that's why I went the direction of the Long Action 300WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.