Low cost 6.5mm Bullet to use for fireforming.

This is probably your best bet right now, about $0.27 each before shipping. Can't say enough good things about midsouth.
This is what I use to fire form 6.5 grendel from 7.62 x 39.

Find an accurate fire forming load and go have fun. I have even hunted with fire forming loads.

I have 300 cases to fire form, so I will find a good accurate load and use them to bang steel for practice.
Yep! Instead of fire forming brass for my .270 AI, I ended up with an accuracy load for .270 Win and .270 AI.

I like to shoot steel with fireform loads when just blowing a case to AI or similar. Cream of wheat is a good move when doing more complicated things.

Where can I find a couple hundred low cost bullets to use for fireforming cases in a 264 Win Mag? I have plenty of .264 projectiles but they aren't cheap and are hard to c9me by so I'd rather not burn up too many of the good stuff.
I think a better alternative to bullets is kapok ( pillow fill ) and about 15 grains of bullseye powder or some use cream of wheat instead of kapok. That barrel will be way worn after 200 rounds

I have always been able to find a pretty solid fire forming load that was close to my final load.
The cost of a shot is a lot more than the bullet. Assuming 1500 rounds barrel life, if you bought 200 rounds of brass and got 7-8 firings and a rebarrel cost $700 and you can buy all the powder in 8lb jugs at $250 each

Total cost of ownership includes barrel wear, brass wear, and the other components.
$1,160 in barrel and brass (figure $2.30 for quality brass if you can find it.). $3800 in powder and primers you are paying $3.30 per shot without the bullet.

I would not bother with the whole fire forming as its own exercise in this case. Find something that works within reason and fire for effect. it won't take long to get enough brass formed to start working on the primo load and you will also have a head start on your permanent load.

Typical barrel life can look like this in a big overbore: 1500ish barrel life - 200 ff loads = 1300 - 65-100 accuracy development loads = 1200 loads. Start chasing the lands in another 5-600 rounds and then ~ 250-300 thereafter.

Where can I find a couple hundred low cost bullets to use for fireforming cases in a 264 Win Mag? I have plenty of .264 projectiles but they aren't cheap and are hard to c9me by so I'd rather not burn up too many of the good stuff.

Mike i buy these for my 6.5 Grendel and some 140 grain too . They were real cheap last time I ordered.You might check it out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-101541_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220204-101541_Gallery.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 44
I recommend you use the COW method. It is the most economical, and with which you do not lower the barrel life.
The most important thing about fireforming, in any case, is starting from cases with zero head space. You achieve this with the false shoulder, which from my humble point of view, works better than using bullets touching lands.
Good luck Sir

I have always been able to find a pretty solid fire forming load that was close to my final load.
The cost of a shot is a lot more than the bullet. Assuming 1500 rounds barrel life, if you bought 200 rounds of brass and got 7-8 firings and a rebarrel cost $700 and you can buy all the powder in 8lb jugs at $250 each

Total cost of ownership includes barrel wear, brass wear, and the other components.
$1,160 in barrel and brass (figure $2.30 for quality brass if you can find it.). $3800 in powder and primers you are paying $3.30 per shot without the bullet.

I would not bother with the whole fire forming as its own exercise in this case. Find something that works within reason and fire for effect. it won't take long to get enough brass formed to start working on the primo load and you will also have a head start on your permanent load.

Typical barrel life can look like this in a big overbore: 1500ish barrel life - 200 ff loads = 1300 - 65-100 accuracy development loads = 1200 loads. Start chasing the lands in another 5-600 rounds and then ~ 250-300 thereafter.
I don't think ill need to do any lands chasing with this one. This is my initial fireforming loads and literally the first 6 rounds down the tube. Shots 1-3 were dialing it in and well shots 4-6 speak for themselves I believe. 156 EOL kissing the lands.

FED59AFF-97C7-40BF-8C8A-266464B001D8.jpeg

Prvi .264 / 6.5mm 120 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail (100 ct.) Powder Valley $25.02.

Midsouth Shooters
Midsouth Shooters has Hornady 123 grain FMJ's in the 250 count for $66.50, about 27 cents each.