bullets to use

jbeckstrand

I'm looking for ideas on what bullets to use in my .30-338. Have tried barnes tsx, nosler balistic tips, and hornady interlocks, all in 180 grains, without much luck at getting under an inch in a 5 shot group. Interesting part is in a six shot group i can get two separate .5 inch groups, one an inch above the other using the tsx and 72 grains of h4831.

J

Well my theory is that whatever twist you have just doesn't want to stabilize the 180 gr bullets. Try to go heavier of lighter. (try heavier first) because with that cal the 180's are pretty light.

About the two separate groups thing. I have to ask what number the shots are. If one hits one group then the next hits the next and so on. It is an indication of either poor bedding or no bedding at all. (the way the harmonics of your barrel are they are swithing back and forth on where the whole kalamity stops moving.) Or even if the shots aren't alternating in order it could still possibly be the bedding.

The other possiblity is that your velocities aren't even. Say one bullet is going 3200 and the next bullet is going 3300. Now that's an extreme example but it takes a pretty extreme spread to make a 1 inch difference at 100 yards. It is a very likely possiblity especially if the other reloads aren't giving two separate groups. Jut not enough powder to evenly fill the case or something that's giving different groups.

All these are possiblities and none match your scenario 100 percent so the first thing I would try is going to a different grain of bullet.

Good Luck and just my $.02

How far off the lands did you seat the TSX. Bullet needs to be at least .030, & some guns shoot better around .100! Just keep backing off from .030 and see where your sweet spot is. Also try the 168 TSX. You don't need as much bullet weight with Barnes. A 168 is caparable to the 180 of other bullets.

I have tried the 168 tsx, although only 20 rounds to fire form some brass, otherwise I haven't played with them all that much. I am thinking about trying the lapua scenars or some smks. It will be a few weeks before I get a chance to though as I am working away until at least the 15th of this month. Thanks for the help
Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.