Low cost 6.5mm Bullet to use for fireforming.

How fun is shooting COW?
How far can you ring steel or take a game animal with COW loads?

My fire forming loads, 5 round groups at 100 yards. 130 TMK @ 2895fps. Used to bang steel out to 1400 too. Way more fun than shooting COW.
20210424_102957.jpg

20210424_102951.jpg

How fun is shooting COW?
How far can you ring steel or take a game animal with COW loads?

My fire forming loads, 5 round groups at 100 yards. 130 TMK @ 2895fps. Used to bang steel out to 1400 too. Way more fun than shooting COW.
View attachment 338043
View attachment 338044
Even if I were to get groups like that while forming brass, not that I have ever tried, I prefer to have formed brass AND barrel life left.
The only time I have used bullets fire forming was with 375H&H cheap Kynoch rounds firing in my 375 Weatherby on water buff, because my ammo was lost in transit, it saved the hunt, but heck was it a learning curve. Those rounds, I kept a few to put over the chrony, were doing less than 2300fps at the muzzle and we're hitting a good 6" low and about the same left.
So, how does your fire forming load differ from your full power load in regard to POI?
Because I wouldn't want to be twirling knobs all time switching between the 2.

Cheers.

Where can I find a couple hundred low cost bullets to use for fireforming cases in a 264 Win Mag? I have plenty of .264 projectiles but they aren't cheap and are hard to c9me by so I'd rather not burn up too many of the good stuff.
Just use a pistol powder, some cream of wheat and seal with wax on the end. Fire them and voila! Did this with .300 and .338 Win Mag cases in my .458 Win Mag. Worked perfect.

Where can I find a couple hundred low cost bullets to use for fireforming cases in a 264 Win Mag? I have plenty of .264 projectiles but they aren't cheap and are hard to c9me by so I'd rather not burn up too many of the good stuff.
I use 8 grains of pistol or shotgun powder with corn starch on top and packed with tissue paper rolled into a tight ball and pack it into the neck. Then just fire. Works great. Much cheaper than a full load of powder and a bullet.

Why waste bullets and barrel life? Use the cream of wheat method and pack the top with tissue paper. Here in Tasmania I could find cream of wheat so I blended up some rolled oats. Worked perfectly once I find the optimim charge weight.
Doing it this way you fireform the cases, harden up the bases and zero barrel life. If you want the barrel to be easier to clean, top off every second case with lard as it coats the bore and a tight patch will push all the crud out easily.