Low cost 6.5mm Bullet to use for fireforming.

Mike D Texas

Where can I find a couple hundred low cost bullets to use for fireforming cases in a 264 Win Mag? I have plenty of .264 projectiles but they aren't cheap and are hard to c9me by so I'd rather not burn up too many of the good stuff.

I've used the speer hot cor in the past for fireforming, but - like everything in today's world we take what we can get!

keep your eye peeled on powder valley along with blue collar reloading.

I always do a search on a few online retailer sites and pick whichever is the cheapest option after shipping and applicable taxes. Doesn't matter what it is as long as it is the cheapest.

This is probably your best bet right now, about $0.27 each before shipping. Can't say enough good things about midsouth.

I'll use these for the 260AI and the 264 WMI. 👍

If I can get a couple hundred of each cartridge fire formed, I'll be good for a while.
I'm heading out tomorrow with the 8" twist 29" barrel 264WM to test some 142's with Retumbo and RE25. Haven't finished seating depth testing yet, got a few fliers and vertical last time out and they've closed my 600 range, so looking for another venue. Really loving this barrel, I will get another 6.5mm Brux 7" twist soon in 4 groove, was going to use it for F-class but think it'll be put into use as a 6.5-300 Weatherby just for fun. It will be right up there with the 7STW.
Interesting how I keep ordering faster and faster twist barrels….whose influence is this coming from?

Cheers.
P.S.
I just ordered 500 Lapua Scenar L in 136g OTM. See how they go when they arrive.

Last edited:
Thanks. I also found 140 grain Barnes Match Burners 140 on clearance for $34/100 when I went to your link.
I have used these for fire forming several different 6.5mm cases. They are accurate enough, I was getting .6-.8 MOA groups out of them.
I plan to try them in my new .260AI for fire forming as well. I do have 25 of the 140 Hyb loaded up to try first though.

Theses are the cheapest I know of so far