What to use?

Slopeshunter

Hello everyone,

I just recently acquired a 280AI (24" bbl, 1:9 twist). Starting to research what I should think about reloading for hunting.

This fall I'll primarily be hunting deer and elk with this gun.

The bullets I'm looking at are:
- Nosler ballistic tip
- Nosler accubond
- Barnes TSX

I've heard great things of the Barnes TSX, but they are the most expensive of the 3 listed.

Anybody have any experience with this caliber? What do you like to use? Should I look at doing one load for deer and one for elk? Or just one load that will work for all?

Looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance!

I would say use the 160gr Accu-Bond for both , they expand well yet still penitrate well also (for the elk)
The 140gr Accu-Bond may very well pass through an elk but I don't think I'd risk it if the 160s shoot well.

I had great luck with R-22 in a buddies 280Ai but changed to VV-165 because it was a little more accurate and a good bit cleaner. I believe our finished loads were in the 3000fps range out of a 25" barrel with 160gr partitions.

[ QUOTE ]
I would say use the 160gr Accu-Bond for both , they expand well yet still penitrate well also (for the elk)
The 140gr Accu-Bond may very well pass through an elk but I don't think I'd risk it if the 160s shoot well.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

If you were just hunting deer I'd say the 162 gr Amax. I wouldn't dare use one on an elk though.

I would go with the 160gr. accubond for elk and the 160accubond, the 162gr. amax, and the berger for deer. get the accubond shooting good and you'r set.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts