Lots of People like to bash brands.

I know there are folks on here that spend thousands of dollars for scopes , rifles but on the other end are folks that save up just to spend a thousand on both rifle and scope together. We must not put any of these folks to shame because they are wealthy. We must help them choose the best they can afford. It is easy to say save up buy once cry once but they will never be able to afford one and that is just the way it is. I know that they won't even post a question because people on here will scoff at them and that my friends is a shame. Just my to cents

No. The Burris XTRII or NF SHV are a couple great solutions in this price range

i think I'm sending my XTR ii back then to see if they can make it clear. I like the optic in so many ways, but crystal clear 25x is not one of them....should I send it back or am I doing something wrong.

my Vortex viper 4-16.....clear ....Bushnell Nitro 4-16....clear in good normal lighting some CA...not bad.

I know there are folks on here that spend thousands of dollars for scopes , rifles but on the other end are folks that save up just to spend a thousand on both rifle and scope together. We must not put any of these folks to shame because they are wealthy. We must help them choose the best they can afford. It is easy to say save up buy once cry once but they will never be able to afford one and that is just the way it is. I know that they won't even post a question because people on here will scoff at them and that my friends is a shame. Just my to cents
I'm with you. Sightron stac 4-20x50 can be had for $350 or less if you wait on a sale. The glass can be criticized but I can live with it. That leaves $650 to spend on a rifle before it adds up to $1000. Pick up a Savage 12fv or there are other options in decent economy rifles. Yes, you can can get into it for under $1000 and have a nice shooting rig. Its continually getting to the point where you can spend absolutely as much money as you want to on the high end but likewise it's also getting more affordable if you put some thought into it with some good advice along the way.

i think I'm sending my XTR ii back then to see if they can make it clear. I like the optic in so many ways, but crystal clear 25x is not one of them....should I send it back or am I doing something wrong.

my Vortex viper 4-16.....clear ....Bushnell Nitro 4-16....clear in good normal lighting some CA...not bad.

Man, clarity is one of those things that's so subjective. I feel like my XTRII is great even on 25x. It's certainly possible that yours could have an issue. I know that Burris would be happy to check it out though. They are fabulous people.

There is similar talk around the vortex PST series. An optic purchased for somewhere between $700-$1000 with the serious intent of twisting turrets. Feedbacks vary from never had a problem at all, to sent back multiple times. Vortex customer service for these returns being prompt to repair or replace in most situations. So we can easily rebuttal with: save up & buy a nightforce, s&b, tangent theta, etc.... And not that it's a bad suggestion but not everyone can put one of those on a rifle or multiple rifles even if they do have the funds to and actually put one on a single rifle. So does this mean that you can't purchase an optic that's repeatable, reliable, and will last within reason for under $1000? EDIT: My wording wasn't good : I do believe you can purchase an optic with those qualities for under $1000

I bought a PST about 10 years ago for my 204 Ruger. Shot thousands of rounds though several barrels at prairie dogs without a single failure.

POI hasn't shifted one bit

So obviously I am happy with it but I won't take it personally or get butt hurt one bit if I read a negative comment on the PST.....it works for me and that has been my experience with it so who cares what people think?

Parallax way off (if clear target, parallax was off and reticle shifted. If Parallax set, target was blurry)
Between parallax and diopter, they would not mesh, never could get both clear after hours of setting diopter

This is what got me to send my first two NF NXS down the road. Drove me nuts to use them. It drove me more nuts that NF wouldn't acknowledge it as a problem.

Last edited:
I've got two identical Nikon Fx1000 6-24x50. One had better glass than the other. I sure there's plenty of folks who have compaints about that model of scope and possible problems. I'm not going to doubt the fact that they got a faulty scope or even take it personal if they don't like the scope. I will keep on enjoying mine until it gives me a reason to think otherwise.

Do I have this right, start a thread to bash those who bash products?
Every post has or should have content, it is easy to pick out whether someone is laying something useful on the table. For every person saying no good, there is someone defending it.
Sort through it, be glad we are not all the same. Sorry, I am not buying, or not buying based on anyone's opinion on here. I'll make my own mistakes or successes.

Scopes,just like everything else that is man made,can and will break,or can have quality issues. The only quality scopes that I've ever had issues with were my Swarovski PH 4-16x50,and a Sightron SII 4-16x50 AO.
The Swaro quit holding zero after using it on several rifles over a 15 year period. The Sightron elevation turret stem came loose.
Both scopes were sent in for repair,and both scopes were returned repaired,and even reconditioned to almost 100% condition.

People bash everything. Hell,just look at the guy's that hate the 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't think there's any gun forum on the internet that doesn't have a thread bashing that cartridge. Some people just have to hate things to make themselves feel better than other's.

What scope did you go with after the nxs?

To answer your question directly, I went to the Vortex AMG. I used my first two AMGs until the parallax guts blew out. I then went back to NF with the ATACR and NX8 series. I also have a newer generation NXS 5.5-22x56 from 2018 that doesn't have any parallax problems.

I swore off NF for quite a while after those first two NXS. Since then, I've come to realize that there isn't a single scope brand that I've used that hasn't had at least one problem requiring teardown and rebuild, to include NF, Leupold, March, Zeiss, and about every piece of Vortex optical equipment that I've owned.

Last edited:
Hence the point of this thread. I want to see proof !
I don't doubt that you sent your steiner back. Just want to see what actually was wrong/fixed or not .
Until I see some actual proof I tend to believe the bashing is "something you heard from someone else"

I don't keep paperwork from repairs of scopes and such. I also don't need to prove anything to somebody else. It sounds like you're just tired of all the hear-say that gets posted on forums, and so am I. That's why they put the little roller on the computer mouse. I just scroll down and read the next one, ignoring the one that I think may be BS. It's pretty easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts