Lots of People like to bash brands.

As already stated one bad unit does not make a bad brand. In fact I love Leica and most my glass is Leica but I recently got a 2-10 scope and it last less than 50 shots now anything over 4 x is fuzzy. Been in contact with Leica and they will take care of it as soon as they are aloud to open. This though has me rethinking it for my main scope.
So I reached out to several vendors who sell many other brands. They all had the same response they are a very good scope and they see very little issues with them. All high end brand can have a bad one slip through not to bring down th as a whole.
After that I felt much better about keeping this for my go to main hunting rifle. Luckily I should have enough time to get several hundred rounds through it before hunting season comes to make sure.

Good point. They can all have issues. I've moved on to Burris quite a few years ago with much better luck than others. I've had a hiccup or two and had to send a couple in. Biggest difference...much, much lower rate of problems and excellent, friendly customer service. Never once had a tech person get argumentative or confrontational. Again, no brand is immune to problems

This site is a fantastic source for product evaluation from scores of folks with a TON of real world experience. That said these are forums not studies. There are super bashers from people that developed a serious sore spot for any number of reasons and just dump on a brand/product. Then there are people that shine on a brand/product like they are in line for a promotion or are indeed in sales and Promotion...?
There are almost always pages written on threads started with "What are your opinions of the WhizBang?" Take the 2 best and 2 worst and toss em out.
I try to only bash stuff if asked directly and there are not many brands that have truly disappointed me for the price that was paid and the task they were asked to perform. I realize after reading this thread that I have bad feelings on stuff that came from small samples and unfair expectations. I will only shoot O/U or Pump shotguns duck hunting. I had malfunctions in 3 different auto loaders over the last 35 years and in my mind I think if anybody drags a boat, breaks ice, and risks wasting an opportunity on a wad of bills in the pocket to shoot an auto they are crazy. My malfunctions were all older gas guns that were wet from long paddles and temps were well below freezing. It is a small sample, but it caused me such great disappointment at the time I have crushed auto loaders and their operators (within my group of friends) for a long time and missed out shooting great guns like the Benelli. Mean while I have had plenty of issues with pumps, but those are rationalized.

Good point. They can all have issues. I've moved on to Burris quite a few years ago with much better luck than others. I've had a hiccup or two and had to send a couple in. Biggest difference...much, much lower rate of problems and excellent, friendly customer service. Never once had a tech person get argumentative or confrontational. Again, no brand is immune to problems
I'm not sure why you are getting singled out to attack here and I'll post a more detailed response when I get back to my computer.

I too like Burris and have moved from Leupold that direction for some optics. That said Burris has two 2-10 Veracity scopes for repair I brought in for a couple of guys as I write this. Both close to the same serial numbers. Both took more than full left windage to get to zero on multiple rifles. I suspect they had a bad batch. Would I buy another Burris? As long as they take care of these two, absolutely. If I have a bunch more issues that may change.

I have a vari II that was my Dads on his 300 wby.It fogged, I sent in it was fixed,scope already old.I thought what service,young and no money.As my interest grew this pushed me to a 340 wby when I was 20.This had some basic vari II,that I shot out to 500 yrds.Then I got one of the first,vari 3 tact,black ring.I had a shooting coach in school/gun nut.Only person with computer I knew. He did load work and drop charts for me.This changed my success on mtn.That scope is at least 18 years old,spent its life on 340 wby,that first year I had shoot 400 unbraked shots. Have those on 6# 325 wsm,many years,my rifles get used by me,my son and friends.I have had opportunity to hunt many years 50 days,its my passion.I never had the money to put to optics like scope and never had problems.So when I had custom 338NM done,it got a mark4,thats 10 years ago,rifle is 7-2oz.Which many claim yo cant shoot.My smith ,that is very well known,said scope might last few months.Its still going.I shot a 6'' group with rifle,witness by Tom M. on this forum who has shot mutiple world records in 1000 Bench,Penn style. After the success I had I wanted a bit more features for my practice 338nm,I looked at many,this still is a heavy back up for me.I considered NF,USO,S&B,Kahles,but I caught a sale and had many points at Cabelas and ended with Mark5,5-25x56.My hunting has taken me on rough boat rides in AK,to many horse hunts,with pack animals upside down in beaver ponds,to hard core wheeling in my jeep,and hard falls.My rifles get used and abused.My swaro els are silver worn,no hawk,no swaro badging,bridge plastic gone.I use my gear.For every bash on here I could post a trophy picture taken with leupold.Now if I start having problems with them Ill let you know.Im disappointed that my March,losses clarity past 20x and has picky parallex at that range also.My cheaper Mark 5 is better.Im surprised my Kowa 554 matched my 20 year old leupold,but is smaller and more packable at double cost.And im really upset that after dropping my Terrapin after 3 years,the quote was $1200 to send in at that goes towards,fix but could cost more.And no guarantee. I do like the low profile turrets,ZS,size,weight of march,and in real world hunting im rarely shooting past 20x. I rolled my jeep recent,with my packer so well see how she shoots...

Why people get butthurt over other experiences is beyond me. I'm thankful for folks willing to share their good/bad experiences with manufacturers. It's one thing if a guy is just parroting things his buddies have said like it's his personal experience.

People also need to realize that just because they had a good experience with a manufacturers product doesn't mean they consistently make good products... just like there are people who have issues with nightforce scopes, there are people who dial Leupold scopes who have never had an issue with them.

Must be the part of the country you live in. I've been smithing for 30 yrs and have sent 2 leupolds back. One was a real old vari x that seemed to have too little adjustment. They sent it back with a letter explaining that those old one only had that much adjustment. They also completely cleaned and upgraded a few parts for free. One was on an encore muzzleloader. Max loads of black horn and 300 grain bullets did me in and the scope. Put a brake on it right away. Want to start the day off right ask about the 6.5creed. Until 3 yrs ago I though it was crazy so many people liked it. Then I drank the coolaid. It's a great cartridge. Wow who would of thunk. Maybe all those guys I though we're crazy. I still won't buy a Ford truck. I think all those people that like them are crazy too.🤣
Shep

I've been a part of this forum for a few years now, and noticed that there are plenty of guys that like to make it known when they don't like product.
So I'm curious if admin allows, anyone that truly had an issue with an optic, and has sent it back. Would post a copy of the work order that the manufacture gave you after they did or did not fix it.
I guess my point is if you had a poblem with an optic and sent it in for repair I'd like to see proof.
If you are running your mouth about some problem a guy you met at the range said his brother's buddy had, and you have no proof I don't need your opinion.
I have a problem with Chinese products, I go to the extent that buying Chinese products is unpatriotic, especially now that they have cost the middle class a few trillion dollars. I don't want this forum to become political but some things cant be avoided.

Last edited:
Must be the part of the country you live in. I've been smithing for 30 yrs and have sent 2 leupolds back. One was a real old vari x that seemed to have too little adjustment. They sent it back with a letter explaining that those old one only had that much adjustment. They also completely cleaned and upgraded a few parts for free. One was on an encore muzzleloader. Max loads of black horn and 300 grain bullets did me in and the scope. Put a brake on it right away. Want to start the day off right ask about the 6.5creed. Until 3 yrs ago I though it was crazy so many people liked it. Then I drank the coolaid. It's a great cartridge. Wow who would of thunk. Maybe all those guys I though we're crazy. I still won't buy a Ford truck. I think all those people that like them are crazy too.🤣
Shep

But , I LOVE Ford trucks .

DMP25-06

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you have a lot of trouble with a product and get no satisfactory solution to it I very much think it's appropriate to share that information so that others can take advantage of the situation. I had trouble with a Taurus pistol and those people bent over backwards to help me. Should I not share that. By the same token when I contacted Savage about a problem all's I got was the run around and bad customer service.
If it's ok to share good info then it should be ok to share the bad also.
When you have a person on this web sight that is a scammer aren't we obligated to share that information.
By sharing we can learn that maybe Savage isn't such a bad company and that Taurus is a stand up company.
When I say something negative about a company it's to get a conversation going and problem solve.
There are some people out there that have been treated unfairly by big corporations. Look at the poor unfortunates
that were killed by a defective trigger on the Remington 700. Be fair to people and strike up a conversation before you condemn them for their opinion.
Now that's just my opinion. Thanks for listening sceeder

There is similar talk around the vortex PST series. An optic purchased for somewhere between $700-$1000 with the serious intent of twisting turrets. Feedbacks vary from never had a problem at all, to sent back multiple times. Vortex customer service for these returns being prompt to repair or replace in most situations. So we can easily rebuttal with: save up & buy a nightforce, s&b, tangent theta, etc.... And not that it's a bad suggestion but not everyone can put one of those on a rifle or multiple rifles even if they do have the funds to and actually put one on a single rifle. So does this mean that you can't purchase an optic that's repeatable, reliable, and will last within reason for under $1000? EDIT: My wording wasn't good : I do believe you can purchase an optic with those qualities for under $1000

Last edited:
The problem is not so much with the obvious broken scopes. It is with the crappy things that you can never quite pinpoint like crooked reticles, finish that falls off when rings get near it, slight lack of clarity that is hard to describe, it is when you struggle to look through it for 5-10 min without eye strain....

There is similar talk around the vortex PST series. An optic purchased for somewhere between $700-$1000 with the serious intent of twisting turrets. Feedbacks vary from never had a problem at all, to sent back multiple times. Vortex customer service for these returns being prompt to repair or replace in most situations. So we can easily rebuttal with: save up & buy a nightforce, s&b, tangent theta, etc.... And not that it's a bad suggestion but not everyone can put one of those on a rifle or multiple rifles even if they do have the funds to and actually put one on a single rifle. So does this mean that you can't purchase an optic that's repeatable, reliable, and will last within reason for under $1000? I don't personally think so.

No. The Burris XTRII or NF SHV are a couple great solutions in this price range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.