Lose primer pockets

There are informed people and uninformed people and Barrelnut and JE are uninformed on the subject. There is a cottage industry fixing Remington's beveled firing pin holes in their bolt face.......and "some" people know about it and "SOME" do not.

Below is not my photo but AR15 Barrels.com is well informed, the 223 and .308 have beveled firing pin holes and they were not done by Bubba.

AR15 BARRELS.COM HOME

700boltfaces_zpsm2ryjprp.jpg

And if anyone didn't understand my postings then you can blame my two dyslexic typing fingers. BUT at least I tried to help "educate" the forum about the problem and NOT be insulting and guess the problem was caused by Bubba. :rolleyes:

Wow there Bigedp51. Seems you are correct about Remington having beveled firing pin holes in the past. It seems well documented if you really search for it. But the horse **** comment is a bit over the top!

Starting with your first post on the subject in post 123, you do not say that this was something Remington did only from 2008-2010. You actually make it sound as though they are currently doing it. Your photo of one is also a stock photo from another site. In your second post on the topic you state that it is "standard now and Remington will not fix it! In your last post you call JE's comment horse $**** and that he is wrong and then go on to state that the bevel was only done from 2008-2010!

It is becoming clear how JE' statements have unfolded. I feel that JE was relaying EXACTLY what Remington told him about Remington not beveling the hole. I think the issue is that since they have not done it in 6 years, the tech JE was talking with had no idea that it was ever done!

I think JE has gone well out of his way to research this, even discussing with Remington, and wasted a lot of his time in the process. It would have been a lot better for all of us if you had been more informative about the 2008-2010 date in your first post and not had people chasing their tail.

Thanks for all the effort here, JE. Seems we have all learned something.

Thanks Barrelnut.

I can only state what I know to be true based on my experience with all firearms.
I have been working on firearms for a long time and have never seen this problem. "BUT"
I wanted to know if it was being done so I checked into it as much as I could and found that they
are not chamfering firing pin holes.

I still cant believe that any reputable firearms manufactures would do something that even the least experienced Gunsmith would know better to do. If they did they should fix it.

I do not own stock In Remington or any other firearm manufacture so I have no motives other than an interest it the quality of the firearm. I have re barreled more than one rifle and almost every brand and I see the strengths and weakness of each. I have been told many times that "That" rifle/action is junk and in truth they were very good. I believe nothing I hear (especially on line)and only half of what I see.

The real problem is that there are to many on line gunsmiths that will get off into something that they don't know anything about and end up taking everything to a smith in a box to fix.

Today to many people have an addenda and post un truths and opinion based on there likes. They have little or no practical experience or skill But are experts overnight because they red it on the internet. I have my favorite actions that I prefer to use but if someone ask me to barrel one of my least favorite actions, unless they have done something to make it unsafe (Believe me it happens)
I will do it. But I don't tell them 'it is a piece of junk' A good gunsmith can evaluate and fix most problems. but when a part is bad for one reason or another it must be replaced. Simple.

If there were/are bolts with the firing pin holes chamfered I have not encountered any of them and I will be the first to post it when I find one. This reminds me of the trigger issue that appears occasionally. I find the problem with all triggers no matter what brand, Is that they have been tampered with by someone that does not understand how critical it is to mess with sear angle or engagement and start turning screws when they don't even know which screw does what. rarely,
is a new trigger actually bad from the manufacture because he knows the liabilities he can face.

As far as bigedp51's comments it is a lot like a fart, it stinks and makes noise but if you wait a
little it will go away. (That's as polite as I can be) PS: the offer to anyone that wants to come
to Texas and talk to me face to face will be reimbursed for the plane fare will apply.

This is also the reason I am not on some of the other web sites. People cant debate a subject without hostilities And if they don't get the answer they want they go postal.

Sorry for the rant

J E CUSTOM

Just a follow up of the chamfered firing pin hole.

I sent Remington Technical pictures of the bolt with the chamfered firing pin hole and ask for there comments.

This was there reply. Quote: Remington is not chamfering the firing pin holes on the 700 bolts. It would cause a variety of technical issues related to firing that would be detrimental to the rifles performance.

So someone has altered the bolt probably thinking it would be an improvement. Like many things, if you alter any part of a factory rifle, they will not fix it free of charge.

J E CUSTOM

Above is what smells and stinks up this posting is YOUR own words and INSULTS...........unfounded assumptions and not facts.
And your lack of experience with this Remington 700 problem speaks for itself and how little knowledge you have with this rifle.

Below a lot of Remington 700 owners had their bolts bushed to fix a problem that Remington told you doesn't exist.

firingpin20001_zpsnjkgah68.jpg

So go ahead and bob, weave, duck and back peddle to save your image. BUT the forum members here have read "YOUR" words in this posting.

So it looks like there is more to rifles than making Assassin muzzle brakes. :rolleyes:

Above is what smells and stinks up this posting is YOUR own words and INSULTS...........unfounded assumptions and not facts.
And your lack of experience with this Remington 700 problem speaks for itself and how little knowledge you have with this rifle.

Below a lot of Remington 700 owners had their bolts bushed to fix a problem that Remington told you doesn't exist.

So go ahead and bob, weave, duck and back peddle to save your image. BUT the forum members here have read "YOUR" words in this posting.

So it looks like there is more to rifles than making Assassin muzzle brakes. :rolleyes:

undies in a bind???

I had a wonderfully insulting post for you, but it isn't worth stooping to your level.
What I will say is two things;

first: you are now on my ignore list.

second: those that go off half cocked like you give those of us that are actually here trying to help people pause as to whether time spent on this site is time well spent.

Well, biged51 I just want you to know, I believe Jerry when he says he talked to Remington, and in my opinion he is a stand up guy that is always happy to help steer people in a safe direction. And that opinion hasn't changed after reading this thread.

But my opinion has definitely changed about YOU!!! The way you are acting is absolutely childish.... What are you trying to prove here? He stated what he was told and what he believes, and you can't seem to handle it, lashing out with rude disrespectful comments when someone disagrees or offers another opinion is ridiculous!!! If I can put you on a ignore list, I'm going to do so... I figure you probably made several ignore lists after this thread...

Well, biged51 I just want you to know, I believe Jerry when he says he talked to Remington, and in my opinion he is a stand up guy that is always happy to help steer people in a safe direction. And that opinion hasn't changed after reading this thread.

But my opinion has definitely changed about YOU!!! The way you are acting is absolutely childish.... What are you trying to prove here? He stated what he was told and what he believes, and you can't seem to handle it, lashing out with rude disrespectful comments when someone disagrees or offers another opinion is ridiculous!!! If I can put you on a ignore list, I'm going to do so... I figure you probably made several ignore lists after this thread...

click on private messages in the upper right hand corner just below your handle...
under settings and options you will find... edit ignore list
dump the handle in and no more noise from the user...

bigedp51
Re: Lose primer pockets

This user is on your Ignore List.

that is all you will see from them unless you remove the user from the list

click on private messages in the upper right hand corner just below your handle...
under settings and options you will find... edit ignore list
dump the handle in and no more noise from the user...

bigedp51
Re: Lose primer pockets

This user is on your Ignore List.

that is all you will see unless you remove the user from the list
Thank you Lefty..

Yes LE is a stand up guy............

He stood up and shot off his mouth on a subject he knows nothing about.

Bottom line, I don't like people calling me a liar. IF LE would have taken the time to look at the Remington bolt face photos I posted he would have seen the same rough surface inside the bevel. Meaning it has the same rough surface the rest of the bolt has so it happened when the bolt was made and not afterwards.

And I could care less who doesn't like what I said in return to his insults.

You have a so called firearms expert that is gullible enough to believe what the person said at the other end of the phone.

Remington fell on hard times when they lost the contract to produce ammunition at Lake City Army ammunition plant. And what many of you can't grasp is quality control is governed by dividends and the stock holders. And these bolts are not made the same way as the were in the past.

Now look at the overall surface of the bolt and then look at the bevel in the bolt face and tell me it was done after the bolt left the factory.

boltface2_zpsdf1f12bc.jpg

And the problem is well known at other well known forums "BUT" for some reason their is a few of you still in the dark here.

firingpin50001_zps84zedfex.jpg

Now go ahead and shoot the messenger and be insulting "again".

I don't know, but I would guess that I hit some ignore lists years ago when I got passionate about subjects and argued hard on my behalf.

It seems to me that everybody involved in this thread has good information to offer.

Telling people that they are full of s***t because they have something different to say does not get you far. Saying that you disagree and why will go much farther. Also much more informative for those of us looking in.

The reason I can't stand, and do not go to other sites, is the name calling and pure lack of respect that takes place. Everybody here is generally on the same page. Looking to talk to like minded people and help each other out.

PS. JE, if you want to pay my air fair I will start packing my stuff. I'll come say hi and we will go shooting or something for a bit.

Steve

I am only posting this for the benefit of the original poster "Kyron".

Sorry If we got off subject and the post was High jacked.

Don't let this kind of mess discourage you from posting questions or solutions. The chamfer
has nothing to do with loose primers and I for one shouldn't have gotten side tracked On a totally un related subject.

I read all of the post again just to see if I had insulted or called anyone a liar, I didn't so I don't owe anyone an apology except you and the other membership.

Let us know what you do to cure your loose primer pocket issue so we can add the fix to our possible list.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

I don't know, but I would guess that I hit some ignore lists years ago when I got passionate about subjects and argued hard on my behalf.

It seems to me that everybody involved in this thread has good information to offer.

Telling people that they are full of s***t because they have something different to say does not get you far. Saying that you disagree and why will go much farther. Also much more informative for those of us looking in.

The reason I can't stand, and do not go to other sites, is the name calling and pure lack of respect that takes place. Everybody here is generally on the same page. Looking to talk to like minded people and help each other out.

PS. JE, if you want to pay my air fair I will start packing my stuff. I'll come say hi and we will go shooting or something for a bit.

Steve
I agree Steve, I was called a Nazi once because of my last name, and because I said that shooting someone's cat just because it was a cat is wrong, and they should be arrested....Because I love all animals, I am a Nazi.... I couldn't explain that one so I left the site...

I have always been treated fairly here, when I'm wrong I'm wrong and someone would call me out on it. Sure I would argue my case, but I would also keep a open mind, and realize people have different experiences...

One thing for sure is..... I ask as many questions that i answer. I don't know it all...
I want to give answers when I can, and get answers when I need them... That's why I am on this site...

Jerry is right, let's get back on topic.

Personally when I feel a loose pocket, I toss the brass.
I notice on some brass this happens sooner than others.

As long as brass is available for me to purchase, I just don't risk it. I usually get several loadings out of a case before it happens, mainly because I don't push my rifles hard. If I can find a node with good velocity around the middle of the charge work up, I'll go with it rather than the max load. Some rifles like my 30-06 I can't do this. It likes to run hard, but knowing that a lot of 30-06 data it neutered for the old surplus and Garands, my thinking is that published book max is not max in my rifle, at least there is no signs of a max load any way...

WOW... Glad you guys brought it back around to the original topic!
I'm loading for a 338/300-Edge and brass is precious, dose anyone know of a way to tighten the pockets for an extra round or two?

Thanks,
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.