Lose primer pockets

WOW... Glad you guys brought it back around to the original topic!
I'm loading for a 338/300-Edge and brass is precious, dose anyone know of a way to tighten the pockets for an extra round or two?

Thanks,
Tom

I do it with a chrome ball bearing, hardened hex head bolt, and a hammer.
Do a custom search ( upper right hand corner) for ...

Tighen primer pockets here's how

kyron

Cartridge brass is a expendable item and your bolt face is not.

In a Ar15 forum loose primer pockets were being discussed and the person who post the photo below said the following.

"I don't worry about loose primer pockets, I just replace the bolt when it gets bad enough"

coltbolt-1_zps146f5233.jpg

Below is my scrap brass bucket and 95% of these cases are once fired factory loaded Federal .223 brass. Meaning the primer pockets were oversize after the first firing and not reloadable.

193natorejects001_zps87560a0a.jpg

If one of your primers leaks and high pressure gas erodes your bolt face you will not be a happy camper.

I posted a link about brass hardness and Federal and Remington brass are the softest in that order. You also stated you had brass flow into the ejector which is a telling sign of high pressure.

One thing not mentioned was shoulder bump and head clearance and how far the primer can back out of the primer pocket when fired. If your head clearance is excessive your primers will take longer to form a seal and can cause gas leakage.

HeadClearance_zpsf30a3af1.gif

Simple Trick for Monitoring Pressure of Your Rifle Reloads

Simple Trick for Monitoring Pressure of Your Rifle Reloads | Hodgdon Reloading

All the brass I have right now has just been cleaned and ready to reprime. Unfortunately i can not get to my reloading bench for another week and a half minimum. So I'll let you all know how that goes when I can get to it. Thanks again to everyone here for all the great info.

Primer switch? Some primers run a little larger in diameter and a switch can give some more life to the case. At least, in terms of primer fit.

Added someone to my ignore list from this thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.