Looking for powder thrower + scale

My Charge Master is about 12 years old and for the last 5 years it drifts . I am also ready for something of greater quality and reliability. Perhaps the next version up from the basic model.

I "fact check" my vintage RCBS Chargemaster with a TRX-925. When loading for a ladder I notice that some increments will dump within .02g. That's .1% of a 15 grain charge and a .03% of a 60 grain charge. Close enough. Then there are some charge weights where it'll dump .5 over. 3% of a 15gr charge and .8% of a 60 grain charge. Charge weight matters when it comes to error tolerance.

When it over dumps I just use my SAMMI spec NIST calibrated tea spoon or the RCBS powder pan and remove powder grains until the charge is at the right weight. I have clean room spec, SAMMI spec, NIST calibrated glass measuring cup to dump excess charges in. I got it at Walmart. Sometimes I try not to have a zero in the hundredths slot and sometimes I let +.02 be the limit. I never let a minus charge stand. I figure that if I'm going to be "fact checking" my RCBS I ought to do a good job of it, like, you know, those people... . :)

I let both scales "warm up" before a loading session. Idk, as far as I know it doesn't have vacuum tubes in it... ok seriously it (the sensor) is more stable if you let it sit for a few minutes after you turn it on. The TRX goes through a cal cycle every time so I turn on the RCBS, turn on and calibrate the TRX, make some coffee, then go to work.

It's surprising how much one little cylinder of H1000 weighs. Since the Chargemaster was a lot older I bought one of the fancy new RCBS, blootoof capable powder droppers. It was slower than my original and I hated it so I gave it to my son who I expect to reload more in the near future (starting to do some competitive shooting) and he'll probably hate it too.

If you want to see some big differences in powder drops "fact check" some .223 rounds loaded on a Dillon XL650 with a TRX-925.

If you want the cutting edge of scales the Prometheus is the shiz. "Call for pricing and availability" does not bode well for the wallet. It is very pretty and very accurate. It's also said to be fast.

Last edited:
I've used an A&D scale for ~8 years now. I feed it with a Belding & Mull powder drop. The B&M is hard to find, but you could use a Harrells or RCBS powder drop.
I'll leave the A&D on for days, and zero drift.
I have two Belding and Mull Measures (one used for Black Powder only) and a dozen tubes set to different charges. Montana Vintage Arms makes a beautiful B&M clone that is only a little over $200. The measure tubes are more expensive, but I understand original B&M measure tubes will fit and can still be found. Keep the end of the measure tube wiped clean and insert it firmly into the measure and you can throw 4198 or IMR 4064 within a half of a tenth consistently. For scales I use an Ohaus made balance beam, and check it against an Ohaus Centigram scientific scale.
https://montanavintagearms.com/product/black-powder-measure/

Auto trickler v4 with a fx120 gets my vote
I have the v3. It hangs up just a little on really long stick powder. The v4 doesn't. It'll throw to the .02 grains in about 10 seconds
At 10 Benjamins it's double what the OP wants to spend. I'm all for buy once cry once and I like my V4, but there's things I miss from my Charge Master when using the V4.... "a green light does not a beep make" for one, the round count function is another, and yet another is the compactness of the CM. The V4 has a lot of pieces-parts, and we won't even talk about the V3 pieces-parts

Good Morning, my RCBS Chargemaster 1500 bit the dust this weekend and I'm in the market for something new.

I don't want to spend more than about $500 all in.

I was looking at the newer, updated version of what I already have - the RCBS Chargemaster Supreme. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Open to other recommendations as well!

Thanks for your help
Yes, I like quite like my Chargemaster Supreme.

I "fact check" my vintage RCBS Chargemaster with a TRX-925. When loading for a ladder I notice that some increments will dump within .02g. That's .1% of a 15 grain charge and a .03% of a 60 grain charge. Close enough. Then there are some charge weights where it'll dump .5 over. 3% of a 15gr charge and .8% of a 60 grain charge. Charge weight matters when it comes to error tolerance.

When it over dumps I just use my SAMMI spec NIST calibrated tea spoon or the RCBS powder pan and remove powder grains until the charge is at the right weight. I have clean room spec, SAMMI spec, NIST calibrated glass measuring cut to dump excess charges in. I got it at Walmart. Sometimes I try not to have a zero in the hundredths slot and sometimes I let +.02 be the limit. I never let a minus charge stand. I figure that if I'm going to be "fact checking" my RCBS I ought to do a good job of it, like, you know, those people... . :)

I let both scales "warm up" before a loading session. Idk, as far as I know it doesn't have vacuum tubes in it... ok seriously it (the sensor) is more stable if you let it sit for a few minutes after you turn it on. The TRX goes through a cal cycle every time so I turn on the RCBS, turn on and calibrate the TRX, make some coffee, then go to work.

It's surprising how much one little cylinder of H1000 weighs. Since the Chargemaster was a lot older I bought one of the fancy new RCBS, blootoof capable powder droppers. It was slower than my original and I hated it so I gave it to my son who I expect to reload more in the near future (starting to do some competitve shooting) and he'll probably hate it too.

If you want to see some big differences in powder drops "fact check" some .223 rounds loaded on a Dillon XL650 with a TRX-925.

If you want the cutting edge of scales the Prometheus is the shiz. "Call for pricing and availability" does not bode well for the wallet. It is very pretty and very accurate. It's also said to be fast.
Sure this is nothing new, but my RCBS I put a straw in the tube and it has really kept the unit from dropping to much to quickly, but I also check lots of my weights after the tin is full on another scale, and that one is very accurate, my RCBS has been a really good machine. and see their on sale some places now with free shipping

I have a charge master supreme and have the straw over the dispenser tube not in and it helps but it still drifts higher. There is a way to reset the machine but I haven't tried it. I use another scale to re measure and it is about two to four kernels off. Just enough to make a difference.

I have a RCBS Chargemaster Supreme and have been very impressed with it. I've checked it with an older Lyman electronic scale I have that still works well and they're both exactly the same. My Chargemaster Supreme doesn't drift at all like some other scales seem to do!

If money wasn't an issue what powder measure would one buy?
17102656001707166905270769193685.jpg

Recent Posts