Looking for powder thrower + scale

I have a pair of Harrell's Premium Powder measures. I got frustrated with how long it takes for the RCBS to drop a 40g charge so I pulled one out. It's faster and not accurate to 1/10th grain. It over and under dropped a couple of 10ths intermittently but frequently enough to put it back. The RCBS does the same thing. I think they all do, even the Prometheus.

I've used a stainless steel teaspoon to drop powder into the pan on a scale. It's surprising how soon you get a feel for how a powder flows and what each piece weighs. I've heard of more than one person using Lee Powder dippers to drop a charge then trickle up.

I've been told by a guy who reloads all the time. The electronic scales can't be trusted. Even the florescent lights can screw up the measurement. The circulating air from a fan or AC, or like me in the garage with the door open. So I just stick with a simple Balance Scale. A nice ball powder, and my trickler. Drops perfect most every time.

I always thought reloading was easy, as I found after 40 years of successful attempts but as I get older I'm beginning to realize it's becoming Rocket Science. I don't plan on going to the moon or Mars and being an old school guy I'll continue to make my pills without all the fuss of trying to reinvent the wheel. That being said, I wish all you astronauts my very best and may the force be with you.

My Hornady works well and is accurate. I also use a Harrels powder measure, throw a light charge and trickle up. I have checked my Hornady dispenser with my beam scales quite a fwe times and it is accurate.
I agree with LGWATSON on the quality of the newer Hornady powder dispenser/scale It has replaced 2 different RCBS Chargemasters. The setup, speed and accuracy are impressive. I don't use the Hornady powder pan. Instead I use the one from my balance beam. I place that pan on the Hornady, hit the calibrate button , set the powder charge selection and hit dispense. Every few throws I set the throw on the balance beam to confirm the charge. I'm a bit surprised I don't see more positive feedback on the Hornady.

Recent Posts