Which Auto Powder Thrower/Scale to buy?

TORCHRIDER

I want to buy a new automatic powder thrower/scale but am not sure which one works the best, if any. Money is not an issue. I want to purchase the one that works the best.

Do these things work as advertised? If so, which one do you recommend?

Thanks,

Dave

I have both a Lyman 1200 and a RCBS Chargmaster combo. They both serve me well but I would probably recommend the RCBS for a few of it's options I like better.

Jeff

I have only used the hornady so I can not compare the other units but it works as advertised and I would recommend it in it's own right. good luck

Prometheus is the most accurate.
But IMO, RCBS ChargeMaster is the best overall.
It's practical, with sufficient accuracy, speed, and ease of use.

If I could trade my CM for any other setup at no additional cost, I wouldn't.

I had an older lyman and it did as advertised but was slow, i picked up the hornady last year and have been pretty pleased with it thus far. They all have thier individual quirks, I think, but once you learn to do what the machine likes it will do what you want it to. Tough to beat the price tag on the hornady though..

I had 4 faulty Lyman DPS III's in a year and swore them off. I switched to an "old school" powder measure and have loved it. Later on in life when money isn't so tight (hahaha) I wouldn't mind having another electronic powder dispenser, but I can't afford to send in my scale every 3 months.

Every time I just about talk myself into buying on of these, I read another report of some guy who has had one for 6 months or so checking it with a beam scale and discovering that his loads are varying as much as 1/2 to 1.0 Grains.
So I am still using my Ohaus 10/10 and trickling up, gets me within 1 to 2 kernels of extruded powder (Retumbo, H1000, 4831SC, etc.)

Dave

I can only speak to the RCBS combo that I've had for about six or seven years now. It works great, speeds up the reloading process, and seems to be quite accurate. Once in a while (every 6 months or so) I will check the scale with the weights provided and the most I've ever seen it out of 0 is .01 grams.

lyman dps 3, I like it, after using first rcbs series years ago that was "so so". never had any problems with either of my lymans.

As far as accuracy I have a few bullets I use to test. I like to test with a bullet close to the grain weight charge I am am loading. I also have an older beam scale for reference. My two electronic scales are in agreeance to the 1/10 gr. And simply putting a test bullet in the pan eliminated any doubt I may have that day. That said I calibrate each scale every time I turn them on and get ready to load by following the instructions in their hand book. The Lyman amazes me as it has loaded so many rounds the "enter" button is very worn, but it is still accurate to the 1/10 gr. The RCBS is just a little faster and easier to change powders in IMO.

Jeff

I have used the PACT and the RCBS. The RCBS is hands down better, quicker, less overthrows and accurate. There is a ton of information here and on Accurate Shooter on tips and tricks that really work. I have not had any issues with accurate measures and follow the direction to zero frequently and let the unit "warm up" 20 minutes prior to use. Of course if accuracy is only good to +/- .1 grain.

rcbs chargemaster and do the straw trick. Last night threw 50 charges of 55.8 and only one come out as 55.9 all the rest were perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts