Looking for advice on a lifelong rifle purchase

Don't leave out the good old 30-06. It bridges the gap in the short actions 308 cals to a magnum. With the heavier bullets available you can use this as a practice low recoil rifle without a break. Shoot light weights and heavies alike.

Not discounting the 300 WM. I own two of them. One is a 5R and another a Ruger. Both shoot very well. Shooting without a brake, though not untolerable, it definitely lets you know it.

The 30-06 should give you better barrel life while you practice as well.

I own both and shoot both, but practicing with a brake and then taking it off as I walk the woods is not very feasible until setting up a shooting position. Something else to think about. Shooting the 30-06 without ear pro is doable. Shooting with a brake is absolutely not doable without earpro.

Shane

Jrock-Red hawk was a great tip. Nicely priced offerings.

Dmj-thanks for pointing out the trigger importance. I was slightly under rating that mod. But you're definitely right. Tis a big deal.

Mudrunner your advice has been invaluable. I was already very interested in 5R and I think I'll make that an official endorsement.

Now, taking from catamount's .02.. would it be possible and smarter to shop around and build a better rifle for the money, than to just buy a factory model of the 5R. I mean, winter is coming very quickly up here, so I've got time to shop before I get to training in the spring. It is a semi daunting task considering I know very little about the workings of rifle. Seems simple enough though, and all the more reason to learn, piece by piece.

From reviews I've read, I'm under the impression that an action is an action. They can be fine tuned as can most parts but they come out of factory generally homogenous. However, you never know what sort of barrel you will get from a factory gun. Therfore, if I build a gun up, would it be smart to invest in a barrel constructed by a gun wizard?
This is true for most any factory rifle...However, the 5R Milspecs and the Senderos have a significantly higher positive turn-out than the lower models. I have never seen or heard of (to my knowledge) a 5R that wouldn't not shoot 1/2 MOA or better with handloads. And I can only think of hearing once maybe twice of a Sendero that would not shoot under MOA with handloads.

So, from my experiences with the these 2 models of rifles, it has been nothing short of positive and VERY good shooters, especially with handloads. My factory Sender SF 7mm STW that I've had since new (2002) shoots 1/2 MOA all day long with handloads.

Also, with the Remington, the new factory Remington lawyer-proof triggers are horrible, it's a very easy swap, but if you are not familiar with them, a gunsmith can do this task for a very small fee. For the money I recommend a Timney.

This is true for most any factory rifle...However, the 5R Milspecs and the Senderos have a significantly higher positive turn-out than the lower models. I have never seen or heard of (to my knowledge) a 5R that wouldn't not shoot 1/2 MOA or better with handloads. And I can only think of hearing once maybe twice of a Sendero that would not shoot under MOA with handloads.

So, from my experiences with the these 2 models of rifles, it has been nothing short of positive and VERY good shooters, especially with handloads. My factory Sender SF 7mm STW that I've had since new (2002) shoots 1/2 MOA all day long with handloads.

If either of those rifles had been in my budget at the time, I would have just bought them and been done with it instead of what I have done with that 7mm-08. That said, I am happy with what I have and enjoying the process of making it better.

First off, thanks for all your quick replies! This site rocks.

I wish I had the luxury of buying two rifles! My budget is "high" because I want a rifle that is outstanding and virtually the only hunting rifle I will need. Getting two would take away from both.

Mudrunner, that's a great suggestion. Especially in the scope! I haven't gotten there yet, but from what I do know that seems like just what I need. Admittedly, I am definitely leaning towards R700's, and the 5R has called out to me strongly. Right now it's kinda between the 5R, or a Sendero FS ii. Any input into why you say the 5R over Sendero? I was also thinking about, with either rifle, getting the barrel trimmed down and to maybe 24" or 22", with threads for a muzzle break. Make it more hunting tactical. I'm aware of the velocity loss, but thanks to their high rate of spin it'd still hold enough momentum to kill, say, an elk, at a distance most would say is stupid to attempt anyways. Am I correct in that?

Also, Feenix thanks for the savage suggestion. I haven't looked into them enough. I'll be sure to look into that specific model.

Remember all, my budget is 1500-2000 for just the rifle, so any custom options information would be incredibly valuable to me. Any action works, but I feel pulled to R700.

All input is welcome! Thanks so much again ya'll.
I have several Sendero's, the varmint version of the Sendero as well, the VSSFII and I recently bought one of the special runs of 5R's.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ucts_id/719010011/REM+700+SS+5R+260+24TB+MZ+4

Out of all of them this rifle and the VSSFII .220 Swift are the most accurate. This model is actually all stainless but has a black cerekote as well and they come threaded with a thread protector installed.

If I were going to buy another 300wm I'd buy it in this same version.

Both the 7mm Rem and the 300wm will do what you are wanting but the 300wm does it with more authority and energy.

The nicest thing about the 300wm is that unless you shoot it hot and just keep shooting and do so regularly it's nearly impossible to shoot it out. I know guys who have put several thousand rounds through them without any appreciable loss of accuracy.

Polished stainless looks cool but the matte black finish is much more practical in the field and you won't get busted by the sun reflecting off of it.

One other worth mentioning is the Ruger Hawkeye FTW. It's a good bit lighter and thus more sensible to carry on a long day in the woods and I'm extremely pleased with how well the one I bought, also in .260 shoots. It too is available in 300wm.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...cts_id/719007676/Ruger+300WM+24TB+MSS+NGC+3+L

I like this one well enough I'm giving serious consideration to picking one up in .375Ruger as well.

Jrock-Red hawk was a great tip. Nicely priced offerings.

Dmj-thanks for pointing out the trigger importance. I was slightly under rating that mod. But you're definitely right. Tis a big deal.

Mudrunner your advice has been invaluable. I was already very interested in 5R and I think I'll make that an official endorsement.

Now, taking from catamount's .02.. would it be possible and smarter to shop around and build a better rifle for the money, than to just buy a factory model of the 5R. I mean, winter is coming very quickly up here, so I've got time to shop before I get to training in the spring. It is a semi daunting task considering I know very little about the workings of rifle. Seems simple enough though, and all the more reason to learn, piece by piece.

From reviews I've read, I'm under the impression that an action is an action. They can be fine tuned as can most parts but they come out of factory generally homogenous. However, you never know what sort of barrel you will get from a factory gun. Therfore, if I build a gun up, would it be smart to invest in a barrel constructed by a gun wizard?
If you want to go the custom or semi custom route we have quite a few guys right here that will do you as good or better job than anyone else in the country for the same money.

I've got one last build in mind and I'll be going to Chris at Benchmark Barrels for it but there are several others who post here as well and you wouldn't be making a mistake going with any of them.

Don't leave out the good old 30-06. It bridges the gap in the short actions 308 cals to a magnum. With the heavier bullets available you can use this as a practice low recoil rifle without a break. Shoot light weights and heavies alike.

Not discounting the 300 WM. I own two of them. One is a 5R and another a Ruger. Both shoot very well. Shooting without a brake, though not untolerable, it definitely lets you know it.

The 30-06 should give you better barrel life while you practice as well.

I own both and shoot both, but practicing with a brake and then taking it off as I walk the woods is not very feasible until setting up a shooting position. Something else to think about. Shooting the 30-06 without ear pro is doable. Shooting with a brake is absolutely not doable without earpro.

Shane
That totally depends on what model brake you have on your rifle. With both the Gentry Quiet Brake and the Northwest Precision Muzzle Brake I have occasionally forgotten to put on my ears and with both of them it wasn't a problem for a couple of shots.

You'd never want to do that at a range where you have segregated lanes but in the open they are both surprisingly easy on the ears.

Also, with the Remington, the new factory Remington lawyer-proof triggers are horrible, it's a very easy swap, but if you are not familiar with them, a gunsmith can do this task for a very small fee. For the money I recommend a Timney.
I think Krieger is still probably doing the Sendero barrels and may be doing the 5R's as well so it's definitely a step up from their mass produced ADL/BDL in terms of quality.

Okay, I'm for sure going with the R700 5R. Now I just need to find the proper scope for it. Mudrunner, that one you suggested is FFP. Doesn't that produce a sort of hindrance at long range because the reticle expands with magnification? That's just what I've read, obviously.. I have no true understanding of glass at this point.

Wildrose, those are some good suggestions. I'll look into the ruger. I am a Hawkeye after all haha. The only issue with that specialty 5R is the price increase.. for the money I could have a normal 5R threaded and switch the trigger. The only significant thing gained is the lack of shine on the barrel. (Which is something I'd definitely have to fix on the original.)

A question for everyone. If you had to pick one caliber to use for the rest of your life, what would it be? Obviously I'm not trying to pigeonhole myself like that for real, but if I'm gonna get reloading gear for my setup, I'd like to choose a caliber that can suit me well, through maybe a few guns as I get older (big game, small game, extreme long range targeting). I'm not a collecter, and probably never will be, everything I own has a practical use. So is the 300winmag the right choice, or is there some obscure cartridge that can do this better?

Okay, I'm for sure going with the R700 5R. Now I just need to find the proper scope for it. Mudrunner, that one you suggested is FFP. Doesn't that produce a sort of hindrance at long range because the reticle expands with magnification? That's just what I've read, obviously.. I have no true understanding of glass at this point.

Wildrose, those are some good suggestions. I'll look into the ruger. I am a Hawkeye after all haha. The only issue with that specialty 5R is the price increase.. for the money I could have a normal 5R threaded and switch the trigger. The only significant thing gained is the lack of shine on the barrel. (Which is something I'd definitely have to fix on the original.)

A question for everyone. If you had to pick one caliber to use for the rest of your life, what would it be? Obviously I'm not trying to pigeonhole myself like that for real, but if I'm gonna get reloading gear for my setup, I'd like to choose a caliber that can suit me well, through maybe a few guns as I get older (big game, small game, extreme long range targeting). I'm not a collecter, and probably never will be, everything I own has a practical use. So is the 300winmag the right choice, or is there some obscure cartridge that can do this better?
It was worth the extra to me to get everything I wanted the first time around.

I think I posted a link early on in the thread to a video explaining the proper way to adjust the X-Mark Pro Trigger. I have that trigger on all but a couple of my 700's and have them adjusted down to where they are very satisfactory including the trigger on this rifle.

The Ruger has the simplest trigger group of any being produced today and it only takes about five minutes to tweak it to a very light and very crisp trigger.

On the Remingtons once I have them adjusted to where I like it I just bathe it in lapping compound and work it until all the burrs are smoothed out and then clean it up.

It takes a couple of hours to get them where I like them but it only costs me a few cents instead of a couple of hundred for an aftermarket trigger.

The obscure cartridge I like even better than the 300wm is the 7mm STW. I've had a running love affair with the STW for twenty plus years. You cannot however put thousands of rounds down range through one before losing accuracy and you can with the .300wm.

It was worth the extra to me to get everything I wanted the first time around.

I think I posted a link early on in the thread to a video explaining the proper way to adjust the X-Mark Pro Trigger. I have that trigger on all but a couple of my 700's and have them adjusted down to where they are very satisfactory including the trigger on this rifle.

The Ruger has the simplest trigger group of any being produced today and it only takes about five minutes to tweak it to a very light and very crisp trigger.

On the Remingtons once I have them adjusted to where I like it I just bathe it in lapping compound and work it until all the burrs are smoothed out and then clean it up.

It takes a couple of hours to get them where I like them but it only costs me a few cents instead of a couple of hundred for an aftermarket trigger.

The obscure cartridge I like even better than the 300wm is the 7mm STW. I've had a running love affair with the STW for twenty plus years. You cannot however put thousands of rounds down range through one before losing accuracy and you can with the .300wm.

I am the same way, but not quite as long as Rose...I've had a love affair with the STW since I read about it in the Shooting Times Magazine when I was a kid. I bought my first one in 2002. But, like he said, nobody produces it in a factory rifle anymore. And you can't put thousands of rounds down one like other cartridges. Another one of my all-time favorites is the 7mm RemMag, but Remington doesn't offer them in the 5R line (maybe someday). While it is not my first pick of cartridge (I'm a wildcatter, I like wildcat, Ackley Improved, and obscure cartridges), the .300 WinMag will do what you want it to, and everything you are looking for.

I am a bit different on the triggers... I refuse to mess with an X-Mark Pro trigger, I hate them. I immediately replace them with older Remington/Walker triggers that have been worked-over, or Timneys, or Jewells.

As for the finish of the rifle, in all my years of hunting, I have never been busted by an anaimal for having a stainless rifle. I primarily hunt with stainless guns, and no issues. I have hunted with both blued and stainless guns, no issues. Most of my rifles are matte stainless.

WildRose,
I sent you an email as I couldn't send you a PM.
I have the Gentry brake on my Ruger 300 WM. Glad to "hear" noise isa little more manageable.

To the original poster,
I've had a Sendero before in 270. After hiking it through the mountains and woods, I thought I would never again carry a heavy rifle again. I now own a 5R so that didn't work, but definitely consider the weight if you intend to hump it through the mountains of Oregon.

Shane

WildRose,
I sent you an email as I couldn't send you a PM.
I have the Gentry brake on my Ruger 300 WM. Glad to "hear" noise isa little more manageable.

To the original poster,
I've had a Sendero before in 270. After hiking it through the mountains and woods, I thought I would never again carry a heavy rifle again. I now own a 5R so that didn't work, but definitely consider the weight if you intend to hump it through the mountains of Oregon.

Shane
wildrosegsps at gmail.com

The internet gremlins hate me and have my PM's and picture permissions so screwed up even the ever mysterious "Admin" cannot figure out where they went. HA!

I have the Gentry QB on a Sendero .300 Rum I picked up from another member here long ago. The only problem with it is that it's a 360 deg radial discharge brake so when shooting from the prone if you are in loose/dusty/sandy soil it can set off a blinding dust storm and if you are shooting into the wind that can all end up blown back in your face.

It is a pretty effective brake though and gives good recoil reduction and isn't too hard on the ears.

The Northwest Precision MB however is the best overall for my primary criteria of all of the brakes I've tried.

$(KGrHqYOKpcFJ1zgwZ+vBSenr3MGI!~~60_12.JPG

They make two versions, the slotted version is what I use.

You can order them through Ebay.

Muzzle Brake/Compensator Rifle or Pistol | eBay

I just came across the CZ UHR. And after reading of some people's respect for the company, and the gun's MOA guarantee to 600 yds out of the box.. that is incredibly enticing. Do you guys know anything about this gun? Have any opinions?

It can, I personally, am not a fan of FFP scopes, but a lot of tacti-cool people are. I prefer old school tac, and I like SFP scopes.

I still recommend the same rings and base I did in my first post. I use this same setup with this scope listed below on most of my LR rifles.

If you are wanting SFP, then here is my suggestion...I have 3 of these sitting on LR rifles right now.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-HS-T-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P67737.aspx

Here's a picture of one of my rifles, which is what your 5R will look like with the Vortex HS-T, Seekins low rings, and the 20 MOA EGW base...

F7AB3B51-D769-4E12-9031-CA15F1991E1E_zpsps1gzmhs.jpg

F0CB5DB2-E810-4E93-B533-EA42AA27A231_zpsptbkkj3t.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.