Looking for advice for a 6.5 creedmoore purchase

footindave

Good Morning Gentleman, wondering if I could get some advice on a new Gun- Scope set up.
Here is the story, I am from Michigan and not much of a gun hunter just would rather bow hunt, that being said I enjoy shooting rifles when I get the chance as well as hunt out west in Montana when the opportunity arises.

I possess several different rifles and calibers but my go to hunting rifle has always been my Weatherby sub-moa 257.
For whatever reason I feel the need to buy a new rifle in this 6.5 caliber to hone my skills at longer distances.
In Michigan when I do rifle hunt I may get a 70-100 yd shot but have shot out to 300 in Montana (chip shot for most of you I know) but that's far to this Bow hunter.
The dillema is this, I don't want a true sniper rifle because I do want to grab and go if needed. I just want a med weight rifle with a nice scope with the ability to dope up to 500 for fun and just practice.

As it stands I love my savage model 10 Predator(shoots lights out) but just don't want the same gun and want a better fit and finish.
Browning x-bolt is nice but hate their stocks so I would have to factor in a new one.
My peaked interest is in a Sako A7 either standard or long range Model, thoughts?
I have no idea on what scope, always been a Leopold fan but again Im out of tune with whats out there but Im assuming on spending 600-1200 on glass.
I am not afraid to buy used if its nice as has the box so open to any ideas from you guys.
Any help is appreciated and sorry for being long winded.

Your .257 will do anything you need out to 500 easy and probably out perform the creed ballistically at that distance. I would spend the money on better optics for your current set up.

Your .257 will do anything you need out to 500 easy and probably out perform the creed ballistically at that distance. I would spend the money on better optics for your current set up.

You are probably right, but when you look at the cost of shooting when you don't reload the 25.00 a box vs 75.00 becomes a factor.

I know you mentioned that you did not want another Savage Predator, but I sure would reconsider. I have one in 6.5 Creed and is is a "one holer". Think about it.

You are probably right, but when you look at the cost of shooting when you don't reload the 25.00 a box vs 75.00 becomes a factor.

I would personally pick the .308 Win using ABM's ammo offering in 168, 175, and 185 Berger bullets for ~$39/box of 20. With the 185, you have plenty of FPE for elk at 500 yards, with proper shot placement of course.

But if you're itching for a 6.5 CM, by all means scratch it. :):Dgun)

I know you mentioned that you did not want another Savage Predator, but I sure would reconsider. I have one in 6.5 Creed and is is a "one holer". Think about it.

I hear you, mine in 22-250 is the same way, its a one holer . So then my thought process went this way, If i buy the same one I could re-stock it for an additional 300.00 and that leaves me real close to same price as a Sako A7 on sale.
Am I thinking too much on this or what LOL

Gun bug is bad isn't it!
But I agree the .257 is a sweet ride.
Why not dump money into an incredible scope (and if you are not already but a reloaded) and take that .257 the distance.

If you just need to buy a gun. Give us a budget to work with and will advice accordingly.

Gun bug is bad isn't it!
But I agree the .257 is a sweet ride.
Why not dump money into an incredible scope (and if you are not already but a reloaded) and take that .257 the distance.

If you just need to buy a gun. Give us a budget to work with and will advice accordingly.

Well it's obvious the gun bug has got me bad so as far as a budget I would like to stay around 2,000. Again not afraid of used at all.

I picked up a new Ruger American Predator in 6.5 creed for $350. It has been a really fun gun to shoot and incredibly accurate. I just worked up a load with the 130 grain Bergers and couldnt be happier.

I personally would stay away from Sako I had a bad experience with them and would never buy another. Feel free to PM me if you want the story.

FEENIX did you have to deal with their warranty? Or from my experience their lack of.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.