Looking for a new chronograph?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Blacktail-hunter, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Blacktail-hunter

Blacktail-hunter Active Member

So I’m looking to get a good chronograph what are some that people have had good luck with?

2. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

MagnetoSpeed Sporter. Does everything I need without breaking the bank.

3. dig

dig Well-Known Member

I have an early Magneto speed as well, very convenient. Would not go back to my Chrony.

jasonco likes this.
  4. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

I just bought a magneto speed sporter as well....wanted to save up for a lab radar....but with two kids and a wife it just wasn't happening. Heck, I'm gonna be in the dog house when she finds out about this $180 purchase!!!

Everything I have seen says this is the best next to a lab radar.

gohring3006 and HARPERC like this.
  5. Wedgy

Wedgy Well-Known Member

I think the only drawback of the MS is that it can(not always) change your groups. Sometimes it changes the POI, opens up the groups a bit, sometimes it does nothing.
    Labradar doesn't do that but costs much more so it depends on how much you use it. Even when load development is over I still use it just to track velocity in various temperatures, etc. The more info I can get is a good thing.

The Oregonian likes this.
  6. BeaverHunter

BeaverHunter Well-Known Member

My buddy bought a magneto speed and we used it for the first time yesterday. It was unbelievably easy to setup/use and gave readings on every single shot. My favorite part was that he paid for it and I got to use it.

HARPERC and Blacktail-hunter like this.
  7. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I think you have your answer.

There are expensive chronographs, and there are Cheep chronographs.
    the Magneto Speed is in the middle and very user friendly it is also very accurate. I have a Ohler 35 p and a Magneto speed and I find my self using the MS more often because of convenience.

I would not sell my Ohler or My Magneto Speed.

J E CUSTOM

8. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Magneto Speed=although I'm looking closely at the Labradar, now that it's linking with phones.

gohring3006 and Dosh like this.
  9. Ed AO

Ed AO Well-Known Member

Autotrickler.com has the two box chrono and frank from snipershide likes it, if that means anything to you. It’s cheaper than magneto speed and Labradar too.

10. Blacktail-hunter

Blacktail-hunter Active Member

whats the big difference between the sport and the v3? I’m aware that the sport is probably built out of cheap plastic but is this a cry once buy once type thing or will the sport hold up ok

11. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

My sporter has held up to magnums with brakes and has never given me a missed/error data on a shot.

gohring3006 likes this.
  12. Sykes

Sykes Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I have the MS V3 and like everyone has said it's pretty sweet. A great tool to have and very simple to use. I have not used mine a bunch yet but what I've noticed is on my CA Ridgeline 6.5 creedmoor the accuracy did not change at all but POI did shift 2 MOA high at 100 yards. Mounted on my Cooper Jackson long range 6.5-284 the group's opened up a bit and POI was also a little high. Just my limited experience so far

13. epoletna

epoletna Member

Although I have never used one, the Labradar looks to be the most convenient. I've owned two Chronys, and managed several times to shoot the front panel and the wires that hold the diffusers above the electric eye. And at the range one time I watched a guy having a lot of trouble mounting his Magneto Speed to his barrel. The idea of having a Chronograph that sits on the bench beside me and does not need to be carefully lined up is very appealing. Downside is they are pricey. Other than that, Labradar looks like the way to go.

14. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

Other thing with the lab radar is it supposedly eats through batteries pretty quick. I would still rather have a lab radar, if I could afford it.