Looking to buy a Chronograph

drenner43

I'm looking to buy a chronograph. Anybody have any suggestions on a good fairly cheap chronograph to buy? Thanks

Daniel

"Anybody have any suggestions on a good fairly cheap chronograph to buy? "

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions but, fact is, they all work pretty well. What changes are the user features and flexiblity.

You want one with a built in printer? Guts on the bench or out front? Basic info or full statiscial functions? Need a built in ballistics trajectory computer? Read the specifications of them all and pick out one with what you want.

If you want basic functions and lowest cost, look at the Chronys. If you want maximum flexablity, a printer, a computer, guts on the bench, you want mine; PACT Pro.

I have an Oehler. However, I have heard from very reliable sources that the Shooting Chrony line is very good and very reasonably priced.

I have a F1 chrony it works good for my needs, I orderd it from walmart online for $70. something a while ago.
I have used it with my rifles and pistols working up loads, checked the 22 rimfire bullets for what they advertise speed and even my shotgun slugs and even the pellet gun

"Anybody have any suggestions on a good fairly cheap chronograph to buy? "

I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions but, fact is, they all work pretty well. What changes are the user features and flexiblity.

You want one with a built in printer? Guts on the bench or out front? Basic info or full statiscial functions? Need a built in ballistics trajectory computer? Read the specifications of them all and pick out one with what you want.

If you want basic functions and lowest cost, look at the Chronys. If you want maximum flexablity, a printer, a computer, guts on the bench, you want mine; PACT Pro.

Been looking at one of them for a few months now. I have have an older one and like it, but really would like the PC hook up as well as the printer. Is the printer servicable? Most printers are not built all that well, and after three years or so you can't get the printer fixed.
gary

And if you want accuracy, get an Oehler..

one fellow that bought a new Ohler ran a comparison test between the older Pact PC2 and the Ohler using a custom built light bar. He found what was roughly a quarter on one percent difference in readings. Which was right? Who knows, but when you talking five or six fps at 3,000+ fps; it just isn't important. (but that extra $120 buys some nice hooch)

Unless Ohler has re-engineered it's mounting system this time around, I wouldn't trust any reading comming off of one. But of course you could spend almost as much as you paid for one and buy the Square Peg mounting system. Or you could have spent $25 for the light bar (Pact), and been done with it. The one thing neither chronograph does, and which would be a real plus; is to have a USB plug in for an external hard drive (or even a fash drive) with a small key board that you could leave small notes in. Then you could simply load the data in your home PC for further reference (I know I'm wanting too much!) Also none of the chronographs I've shot thru are alignment friendly! You'd think by now that they'd all have somekind of an alignment doo dad to sorta bore site it (I built one for the Pact light bar, but it still isn't perfect). And why can't they come with a bullseye level mounted on them? As I see it none are perfect, and they all should have an upgrade path
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.