Looking for a new scale

Here look at these too.....they use other scales other than the $500+ scales. https://www.precisioninstruments.net/

I tell you what though, I thought it was stupid to buy the fx120i, such a high dollar scale but it's the best piece of reloading gear I have, WELL worth it. Search around on forums on the "reloading for sale section".
I got mine from a forum member on snipers hide with the dandy trikler For $566 shipped. I have seen several others there for sale from the time I bought mine to now.
Some of the guys on snipers hide are competitive shooters and are always upgrading where as this is a hunting forum, for the most part hunters don't get rid of things like competitive shooters do but you might want to try there.

Ok, you all might laugh and chalk it up to the new guy not knowing what he's talking about, but I've tried a couple different scales and have been trying THIS ONE out for the last 4 years or so and have been extremely impressed. I'm now on my second one in about 4 years and the replacement is just as good as the original. To the point that the test weights for BOTH scales came in at the exact same 308.64 grains as reported by both scales (weighed each scales weights and then swapped them). I will say that it takes a couple of minutes to warm up, but once it's warm and reading consistent (takes a bit to learn what it looks like being warmed up), I've never had it drift or otherwise cause me concern and I've left the weight on the scale for over 15 mins at times, touching it occasionally so the scale didn't go to sleep. It always came back to the reading perfectly.

When the batteries get low it can cause the readings to fluctuate slightly (bounce around before figuring out what the weight is) or read slowly, but I've never had that happen without the battery indicator being on and me just trying to see how the thing reacts as the batteries go down. I usually use Duracell rechargeable batteries and just keep a spare set of 3 on the bench, swap batteries and charge the old ones for 30 mins to an hour when the battery indicator on the scale comes on. On the second one I bought, you have to be a bit more directly over it to read the LCD, but the reliability is the same. It has a spot for a DC plug but doesn't come with one. I've just always used mine with batteries. I'd say I probably get about 20 hours of reloading time on a charge of batteries. Maybe, I've never timed it. It's enough that it doesn't bother me when I need to swap out batteries (takes 3x triple-A's)

Now look, I KNOW it's a cheap scale. I tried it knowing it was a cheap scale, but it got some great reviews off of some scale websites/forums (it was 4 years ago, don't remember specifics), but I've been trying them out as my primary reloading scale in anticipation of being able to make a post like this. I'm on my second one now because I didn't want to suggest these on a sample set of 1 and then have every other one out there be hooey and someone get hurt because of it. I can say that they work and are worth a try.

For less than $25, it's well worth checking out.

-Chad

PS - if you'd like any more conversation about my experiences with this product, please don't hesitate to hit me up in PM. I'm no scale expert, but I have been using this scale for a LOT of reloading, almost all of it rifle and with a self-imposed charge tolerance of +.04/-.02 grains

A&D FX120i with auto trickler. Had Gempro 250 and 300 that finally gave up after a few years of use on each. If you shoot a lot you really can't beat the A&D system even if they are more expensive, time saved and as accurate as it reads and dispenses is worth it.

I use the Tesso TJS-20 Precision jewelry scale from Amazon for $30. It is very accurate and repeatable. I load to +/- 0.02 grains which is essentially one stick of H1000. The cup is too small so I use the cup from a bottle of Nyquil. I put the 10 gram weight on the scale it reads 154.32 grains every time, perfect.

It is temperature sensitive and the zero does drift after several minutes, usually only once, but a tare and its back to 154.32 grains with the check weight. Always check to make sure to start with a 0.00 before weighing. The zero also drifts and the reading becomes unstable when the battery gets low. Trash the cheap Chinese batteries, just put in Duracell.

They are extremely sensitive and easily damaged if over ranged or the spindle gets dirty. But for $30 it is not a big deal to replace.

The screen update rate is slow and when your are near your target weight you need to stop and let it stabilize.

Without breaking the bank it is hard to do better than a good balance beam scale from Redding, RCBS or others. Always ready, no batteries or electricity and no warm up. I have 2 electronic scales. One is the RCBS Chargemaster Lite which dispenses powder and I like it. The other is a Lyman that is just a scale (great for weighing bullets). They are fine but old reliable is my RCBS 10-10 balance beam scale I've had for 40+ years. I will always have a balance beam scale.

I've used the GemPro250 for years. It finally started to shut down intermittently so I sent it in and they gave me a new one. I also have a ChargeMaster and a RCBS dial balance beam. The GemPro is great for speed and extreme accuracy but you need a balance beam as a check for all digital scales. I use the ChargeMaster to throw the charge then trickle up with the GemPro. All my charges are within .002gr of each other. A bit overkill but as I have said before. When reloading for accuracy not one thing makes a big difference but a lot of little things add up to a big difference.

I would suggest looking at an Ohaus model STX123. Readability to 0.02 grains. Amazon has them for $420. I have used one before several years. It's the best buy for that precision that I have found.

for those using BEAM scales...they are plus or minus .1 that is a .2 spread .
not acceptable in precision loading IMHO
cheap electronics are STEP function at .1 also...and you do not know when or where the step is so actually as bad as a beam.
My vintage Ohaus 505 was tested with my analytical balance over 20 charges to have an ES of .09 grains and an SD of .03 grains.

i am going to use a LITE to feed my a&d fx120i.
use it as is for less "needy" ammo
very smart move , I always weigh powder after it comes out of my electric dispensing scales. I was cronying some loads and was getting very high to low readings on new brass. (150 FPS differences) pulled the bullets at home and found variations in powder loads as high as 5 grains . the electric scale / dispenser was way past warranty so it went in the garbage. My new replacement is now always checked along side a balance beam scale ..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts