Looking for a 6.5 cartridge

drocks101

I am wanting to build a long range rifle in 6.5. I would be using this rifle for hunting mostly out to 700 yards, but I would also like to use it for for practice at long ranges a couple of time a month. Having said that I am looking for a 6.5 cartridge that is as close to 3000 fps as possible to retain more down range velocity, but I don't want a cartridge that is a barrel burner either. I am thinking of using either berger vld 140s or hornady a-max 140s. I would mostly best using this for deer and antelope, but could occasionally use it for elk. Would be running a 26" barrel. Thanks in advance for your help.

So many good choices... 6.5-06 has been around and brass is fairly easy to work with. I get 3004 fps with 140 Berger's . The 6.5 SAUM and WSM will also get there no problem. Lots of people like the 6.5X284. It seems to boil down a lot to personal preference. Brass availability should be looked at. Good luck. Bruce

Lapua makes brass for 6.5x284 so that should get a lot of votes. But there is something really sexy about the 6.5wsm

I'm on my 2nd 6.5-284 barrel(plus a factory I dumped after 600 rounds) running 140's a little over 3,000. For 700 yards you will have a longer life than 1,000 but if you push hard it will shorten the life. If looking for longevity I would go with the 6.5 x 47 Lapua. And you get Lapua brass !!

a friend is having a 6.5 suam built, hes paying crazy prices for brass as the 7 suam brass is hard to find so he bought some preformed 6.5 I think he paid 233 for 100 casings....

a friend is having a 6.5 suam built, hes paying crazy prices for brass as the 7 suam brass is hard to find so he bought some preformed 6.5 I think he paid 233 for 100 casings....

You must be talking about the Copper Creek offerings...
6.5 4s RSAUM

The SAUM is a great little cartridge no doubt but brass is crazy hard to find. The WSM has been treating me pretty well with the 160 Matrix at 3100fps. The 6.5-06 is also a winner for what the OP is looking for.

Until the OP listed elk as a potential target, I would have suggested the 260 remington.

t

Out to 600 on elk I would not be afraid of the 260 rem but beyond that your going to lack retained energy on game that large.
Outlaw6.0 has it nailed I'd look into the 6.5 -06 or the 7 w sm

Jordan@406

If he's going for elk, I'd say 6.5 SS..... Rhian (bigngreen) has killed a few with his, I believe. He's got some posts up and lots of experience with it. He can tell you all you need to know about it.

He's even shot elk at long range with it.

Do a search for 6.5 SS and you should find plenty of info.

I handload. I was originally thinking about the 6.5.06, but I had read that barrel life isn't the greatest. What kind of speeds could I get out of the 260 Remington?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.